Lawyer to challenge Councils Major Works schedule

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 29 January 2017 4.37pm
Could please anyone recommend a lawyer who may have dealt in the past with the Council regarding major works.

I received a "work schedule" which they called "Invoice". The project is 5 months delayed and the council insist that I have to pay for works they haven't delivered and money they haven't paid to their contractors.

They want to use my money as their free cash flow.

Thanks in advance to everyone who will take the time to reply

Kind Regards.
Monday 30 January 2017 7.21pm
I can help.

I have several cases against Southwark Council at the moment at the First Tier Tribunal on this very issue.
Wednesday 8 February 2017 7.55am
Very interesting. The council's policy meant that we started paying for major works about 5 months before it started, and six years down the line we still don't have a final invoice. How can they not know by now, how much was spent.
Wednesday 8 February 2017 9.29am
Here's a BBC News piece from 2014 about the major works here at Draper House:
BBC News Item
Wednesday 8 February 2017 9.46pm
Genie wrote:
Could please anyone recommend a lawyer who may have dealt in the past with the Council regarding major works.
I received a "work schedule" which they called "Invoice". The project is 5 months delayed and the council insist that I have to pay for works they haven't delivered and money they haven't paid to their contractors.

Kind Regards.

I know leaseholders on our estate (Draper) who have been well represented by Anthony Gold in their action against Southwark Council over issues relating to major works charges.

Definitively worth consulting with them.
Friday 10 February 2017 5.31pm
[quote Jules62][quote Genie]I know leaseholders on our estate (Draper) who have been well represented by Anthony Gold in their action against Southwark Council over issues relating to major works charges.

Definitively worth consulting with them.[/quote]

In yesterday's news is a story of council leaseholders successfully represented by Anthony Gold.
Monday 13 February 2017 10.23am
Presumably you can only go to a tribunal when you are presented with the actual invoice.
TAK
Wednesday 1 March 2017 9.10am
Jules62 wrote:
Genie wrote:

Kind Regards.

I know leaseholders on our estate (Draper) who have been well represented by Anthony Gold in their action against Southwark Council over issues relating to major works charges.

Definitively worth consulting with them.

Actually, I'm one of those leaseholders. When i and some of my neighbours took legal action against southwark council it was not yet to challenge the costs of major works as until recently we did not have final accounts. We challenged them for historic negligence and quiet enjoyment of our properties when the shambolic managed refurbishment project got totally out of hand.
That however only happened because despite repeated attempts from residents to discuss issues with senior management at lbs (right up to CEO level), southwark behaved like a dictatorship and told us their compensation offer was fair and appropriate advising us to run it past my lawyer. So I did and a two year long lasting legal case ensued from this, and I received a very substantial payout from this.

The shocking thing is that
Southwark councils did not want to talk to us despite repeated after repeated attempt from our side copying into our email plights pretty much every single politician under the sun to very little or no effect. In the end we had Anthony Gold represent us and it was the best thing I did so far to challenge southwark council. I'm not a lawyer, so I just got pushed and shoved around by southwark. It's a bit more difficult for southwark to do that with my lawyer it seems.

I do now want to start a new legal case however - this time to challenge the major works bills for the shambolic refurbishment.
The only reason I'm wanting to do this again is that despite repeated attempts it's impossible to get anywhere with southwark council unless one takes legal steps. Otherwise southwark keep messing you around time after time.
I have told them but they seem to think I'm bluffing...
I remember their reaction after my lawyers letter arrived on their desks - southwark were all surprised despite having told me more than once to get legal advice whilst also insisting their offer was good and apropriate.

Meanwhile, I have repeatedly called on the council to meet and dicusss the final bills with me, I have repeatedly called on the housing director and CEO officer to come to draper house to meet with us residents so everyone, including the council, can understand and learn how a 5m project could escalate to cost 7m+ at final bills despite less scope of works having been executed than at estimate stage. But this coucil does not want to learn or improve it seems, and least of all it wants is meeting residents in person.

I have asked why does southwark pay Breyer group 400k for lost profits after a sacking them (mutually terminating the contract), and why are those 400k included in the final bills?
Once again, despite repeated calls senior management of lbs is not willing to talk and meet and explain....

I have emailed the scrutiny committee about this too, to little avail too.
I have spoken to the deputy leader about this at the last homeowner lbs council meeting - and given the roaring round of applause I got from fellow leaseholders present when I got up and spoke up about my experience, I know as a matter of fact I'm not the only one with this experience despite southwark always claiming no-one else had such issues etc. And all other leaseholders were happy... it's lies after lies from southwark.

It's just so scary how much money this council is wasting by refusing to talk and listen to residents. That's why in my opinion the current senior management should have been changed a long time ago....

I'm very happy to talk to lawyers and media interested in this case. Above all, it seems loads of us leaseholders have the very same issues - we need to get together as only together we can hold this unaccountable council administration to account.
Or maybe even someone has links to something like panaorma undercover investigative programme?
Zoe
Wednesday 1 March 2017 11.03pm
What are the LBS homeowner council meetings?
TAK
Thursday 2 March 2017 11.05pm
Zoe wrote:
What are the LBS homeowner council meetings?

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/housing/home-owners-services/homeowners-council

They usually hold once a year a southwark home owners seminar. Don't think they have a website but are on twitter
https://twitter.com/southwarkhoc

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: