Cycle lane outside new Sainsbury's on NKR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 30 January 2017 7.36pm
I think people have written about this before but it was my first visit to the new Sainsburys (and now my last) and I stopped at the mad cycle highway before going in ... Looked both ways ... Started to cross and absolutely out of nowhere a bike was upon me ... He swerved and shouted obscenities and I saw my life flash before me but somehow he missed me! All to get a pint of milk! How could ANY road planner/shop owner let this happen...to put a cycle lane in front of a shop ... a cycle lane that you ABSOLUTELY have to cross to get in and out of shop is the maddest thing I have ever seen in an urban environment or any environment for that matter. I am going to write to sainsburys CEO but what else can we do!!!
Monday 30 January 2017 8.25pm
It is definitely a very unsatisfactory layout - but they didn't "put a cycle lane in front of a shop" - the cycle lane runs along all of that section of New Kent Road and has been there for many years - well before the most recent programme of cycle routes initiated during Boris Johnson's mayoralty.

Clearly it needs reorganising and redesigning but the developers of the 'Elephant One' scheme have simply reinstated what was there before they started work on the recently completed scheme.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 30 January 2017 8.36pm
Oh I see ! I didn't realise! So effectively they put the shop in front of a cycle lane? Presumably they couldn't put the shop anywhere else? I think though as you say that this is really unsatisfactory and I could easily have been really hurt today I feel quite traumatised by how close we came to each other even though I had checked both ways ... Has anyone any ideas how to redesign?
Tuesday 31 January 2017 7.37am
And they put a road there too! The cheek of it - al those cars whizzing past!
Tuesday 31 January 2017 8.50am
I think this is my last post on this forum... It is no longer a forum for serious discussion .. Just seems to be a province for incredibly sad sarcastic losers with nothing better to do than make infantile remarks in relation to serious issues.. Will not waste my time here again
Tuesday 31 January 2017 9.34am
Please don't turn this thread into a slanging match.

Guy's street's comment was quite mild in the general scheme of things and arguably has a serious point behind it.

I have approached the new Sainsbury's from the north via Arch Street a few times and it's quite difficult to cross the road at that point.

The cycle lane isn't the only issue - the presence of the supermarket means that the whole configuration of the bus stops and road crossings on that part of NKR need looking at.

Tuesday 31 January 2017 9.35am
Sorry for the sarcastic response, but I don't understand the point of your original post.

You are saying you looked both ways and a bike appeared 'out of nowhere'. Not possible I'm afraid.

The bike must have been there and you must have failed to see it for whatever reason - it didn't appear 'out of nowhere'. Was it dark? Was lighting inadequate? Did the bike have lights on if it was dark? Did you pay the same attention as you would when crossing the road?

It's not the positioning of the cycle lane that is at fault any more than the positioning of any other road.
Tuesday 31 January 2017 9.59am
I think the problem would be solved if the supermarket had its entrance on Elephant road instead.
Tuesday 31 January 2017 11.46am
As a cyclist or a pedestrian, that section of pavement was not really satisfactory even before the Sainsburys opened. Last time I was on it I gave up cycling and walked my bike - people inadvertently step into the cycle path all the time, given that it's not segregated.

It's not always easy to see cyclists, but it is easy for misunderstandings to occur if a cyclist sees a pedestrian looking both ways and assumes they've seen them, when they haven't. It would be nice if everyone could be patient and pleasant but sometimes they're not.
Tuesday 31 January 2017 12.22pm
The narrow section of pavement by the bus shelter is a particular issue - the design means that (unnecessary) conflict between pedestrians and cyclists is made much more likely

Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: