Chronic long term lower back pain

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 15 February 2017 6.24pm
I have suffered on and off lower back pain for years, had sciatica on both sides before, and cramped muscles in lower back with two discs herniated. Now I am getting older the back pain seems to keep returning. This will happen now 3-4 times a year and lasts for weeks on end and its chronic pain very painful where I can hardly move or do anything. Apart from physiotherapy they have no answers for back pain. A lot of treatments you cant even get on nhs and private treatments are expensive. I feel there is a lack of support as well with nhs as you wait weeks on end before you are seen, its not just about the physical but also emotional pain we go through as well. It affects your well being in life and ends up making you house bound for a while until it starts to recover and you can move around again. Then three months down the line it all starts up again. I found the pain clinic before to be of no help. When it starts it can go from two weeks to six or more at a time. Makes it hard to hold down a job as limited motor functions or do anything of every day things that we do. I just wanted to say how I felt at times with this chronic pain. and sure lots of other sufferers out there please feel free to reply back..even though chronic back pain is popular there seems to be little investigation into it, leaving everyone to simply suffer.
Wednesday 15 February 2017 8.13pm
SO sorry for your suffering! I have had treatment for other issues (hip pain, neck and shoulder pain) at the British School of Osteopathy on Southwark Bridge Road, and can recommend you might contact them. The fees are very reasonable; assessment and treatment done by students supervised by a tutor. It is all very professional, and the practitioners take care to really listen to the patient. In my case a few treatments resolved the issues, and I was reassured by the underlying principle of identifying and correcting the root of the pain rather than just treating the symptoms. Last time I was there I think I saw fliers for a chronic pain management course, so perhaps this could be helpful? Good luck!
(oh, and no connection other than being a satisfied repeat patient)
Wednesday 15 February 2017 11.12pm
ladywriter - so sorry for your pain. It won't cure it- but to help with pain have you tired Epsom salt baths
You need to put on a bout 1 kg in and relax for half an our or so= the influx of magnesium helps v much with pain.
You can get it at boots but it's about 5.00 a pack ( one bath) if you go on amazon or the internet you can buy it cheaply in big quantities'. LOVLEY CHEMIST ON bhs next to Holland and Barrett also sell it- maybe try it once from there and if you liken think about bulk buying.

Great for back/sciatica pain
all best
Thursday 16 February 2017 10.48am
Hi,

Back Pain is all about management as opposed to cure so obviously avoid any heavy lifting and if you sit a lot for your job then make sure you use posture corrector.

Aside from that a TENS machine is a great investment. I got this one for 30 for my neck pain and it's great, even sends me to sleep sometimes. It's not a cure but part of an overall management strategy with voltarol / hot baths etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LXW2ATM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thursday 16 February 2017 12.47pm
I have same problem which started after I had my son and has been on and off bad ever since-been under Guys back pain treatment centre and done all the classes which are basically exercise and education based also my doctors offer classes dealing with chronic pain.

I agree it does seem to be this is it you have to just get on with it here are some pain killers. Thankfully the people I work with are now well used to the cries as I try to stand up or sit down and the company has provided me with a special chair so am lucky in that respect. For me hot baths and massage do very little the only thing is to try and find and position that is comfortable either lying down or standing take a load of painkillers and hoping it will go away.

you have my sympathy and empathy ladywriter
Thursday 16 February 2017 3.53pm
My daughter has bad hip pain, she swears by Dead Sea salt. Personally, I would try an exploratory trip to Amsterdam for back pain, especially if it's muscular. Of course if that works, you may become a criminal.

dee dee, my wife also suffers from back pain, she blames the epidural injection she had when giving birth.
Zoe
Thursday 16 February 2017 7.29pm
I found the back clinic at Guys hospital really useful, if you haven't been think about asking your GP for a referral (I also had sciatica, rather than back pain).

Epsom salts are great, I have used them after a long bike ride. I also like an occasional visit to the spa. The E&C gym has a sauna and steam room, but I like Iron Monger Row at Old Street, 26 for three hours and well worth the money.
Thursday 16 February 2017 8.00pm
Dead sea salt and Epsom have a similar make up I think, High magnesium count. The infusion of that in along soak helps with pain.
Saturday 18 February 2017 6.20pm
Thanks for replies, I have had twice the back pain classes at Guys hospital on the six weeks course, I found it helpful but it does not solve or rid the problem just brings it down for a while until the next time it starts up again. I started recently physio on my arms as have tendinitis and tennis elbow on both arms which started up late last year which can also be painful, and then my back pain started up recently where literally could not move. Trying to support myself with my painful arms as well when getting up. My late father suffered years with same problem so probably inherited. I will look up the treatment options given thanks for advice. anyone else welcome to comment please do...
Saturday 18 February 2017 6.32pm
curatrix wrote:
SO sorry for your suffering! I have had treatment for other issues (hip pain, neck and shoulder pain) at the British School of Osteopathy on Southwark Bridge Road, and can recommend you might contact them. The fees are very reasonable; assessment and treatment done by students supervised by a tutor. It is all very professional, and the practitioners take care to really listen to the patient. In my case a few treatments resolved the issues, and I was reassured by the underlying principle of identifying and correcting the root of the pain rather than just treating the symptoms. Last time I was there I think I saw fliers for a chronic pain management course, so perhaps this could be helpful? Good luck!
(oh, and no connection other than being a satisfied repeat patient)
Hi, I see an osteo at my doctors on nhs but he just gets me to lay down and pushes my back into place which is extremely painful and thats it. He does not manipulate it or massage or anything. I assume its because its being done on nhs so rushed. The appointments are far apart as well due to nhs I guess. not like every week but like once or month or less. Its good to have this service but wonder if its not enough really. I guess if I was paying for it I would get longer and more treatment.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: