Nelson Square - open for business?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 4 March 2017 6.00pm
Hi all, I just wondered if anyone knew if the newly refurbished Nelson Square in Blackfriars was officially open? As far as I know it isn't yet as there are still construction signs around the edges, yet there are hoards of kids in there at the moment!

Related news & features

Tuesday 7 March 2017 3.29pm
I just went and checked it out, the entrances are still all fenced off so guess it can't have officially opened yet. One of the fences is only held shut with string though so I can imagine kids would just let themselves in.

I'm interested to know when it will be properly open - there wasn't anyone around to ask though.
Tuesday 7 March 2017 7.20pm
Apparently it isn't officially open yet, there was a surveyor in there this morning still checking it out. The gate with the string has been pushed open and is laying on the floor.
Wednesday 8 March 2017 7.00pm
The firm who worked on the Square came back today, just to tidy up some loose ends, put a little bit of fencing round some shrubs to stop people and bicycles taking short cuts through them, and they also removed the barriers. So, the Square is open for children and adults to come and play [the adults can enjoy the outdoor gym].
All that needs to be done now is some bulb and flower planting [this is being organised jointly with the local Nelson Square Tenants and Residents Association, and Friends of Nelson Square]. There is some signage that has to go up and the entrances will be adjusted to become disabled compliant so wheelchair users can get in and out.
There will be an official opening day. Watch out for posters and leaflets
Sunday 19 March 2017 2.28pm
Square cordoned off by police at the moment - has something awful happened there already?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: