Greensmith butchers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 4 March 2017 10.22pm
Very sorry to see Ginger Pig leave but give the new guys a go. Just had their pre-prepared chicken with lemon and coriander at 6.00. Brilliant and better and cheaper than M&S,

Their serious meat is expensive as ever but look at their other offerings.

As ever no commercial connections. Enjoy
Sunday 5 March 2017 10.06am
Theedy,
What is 'serious meat'?
Is it prime cuts such as beef fillet as against stewing beef and offal?
Do they sell offal such as liver, kidneys and hearts or is it just a high-class butcher and as expensive as the GINGER PIG was even though they sold expensive offal?
Is the charcuterie still open? I ask because I loved their pies and their smoked ham. The large free range eggs were good too especially at 1.50 a half dozen
Sunday 5 March 2017 12.18pm
Think he means just well bred / quality meat across the entire spectrum - shame they have left, Martin and his mate were great lads. I use Ginger Pig solely now and then when a treat is due as the fat for me from their rare breeds, especially the cows makes the beef taste better than anyone elses. Their sausages and black pudding are unrivalled too. But good luck to the new boys.
Sunday 5 March 2017 12.54pm
I notice the new people label themselves as an "Artisan butchery".

I love a nice roast artisan, but they're quite hard to find in M&S and it'll be nice not to have to go out and slaughter my own.
Sunday 5 March 2017 5.45pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
I notice the new people label themselves as an "Artisan butchery".
I love a nice roast artisan, but they're quite hard to find in M&S and it'll be nice not to have to go out and slaughter my own.

Near where I lived when I was a kid was a good old-fashioned butcher's shop which advertised itself a 'Family butchers'. I did always wonder about that.
Monday 6 March 2017 10.57am
Bunhouse, their offering is very like Ginger Pig plust the pre-prepared meals. They certainly had liver but I did not look for other offal. They did say they used the whole carcase so they should have all the cuts, worth talking to them if you wnat something specifically.

The delicatessen is still there but I think the new butchers are making their own pies too.
Monday 6 March 2017 10.38pm
I went in today and was very pleased with what I saw and bought: special offer of minced beef @6 per kilo instead of 10, a variety of sausages and some smoked back bacon which was much cheaper than Ginger Pig's.
I noticed that all, well nearly all, their meat is identified by which farm it comes from and it looked good enough to eat raw, and all displayed beautifully. It seems I will become a regular customer again.
It was sad to see Martin and Chris leave and I guess I will miss them but not as much as I missed the very friendly and helpful young pair,Tom and Adam.
The artisans are most welcome.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network