Attempted bike theft on Southwark St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 12 March 2017 12.24pm
Just caught a guy in his mid fifties attempting to nick my bike. Have a clear photograph and will report him tomorrow.
Zoe
Sunday 12 March 2017 7.40pm
Glad he didn't get your bike. Do you have great locks or were you just lucky to catch him?
Sunday 12 March 2017 7.55pm
I was leaving my flat, saw him hovering around my bike looking furtive. I wandered past to see what he was up to, then looking back saw he was unscrewing the handle bars which are fixed with a single hex bolt. He would have got the bike minus the handlebars which had a support bar which was securing the entire frame. I'm taking in the photo I took of him on my phone to the local police tomorrow.
Monday 13 March 2017 10.29am
Can you post the photograph here?

Thanks
Monday 13 March 2017 10.35am
That wouldn't be appropriate, unless the police chose to make an appeal.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 13 March 2017 11.33am
That was lucky. Did you confront him? Are you getting extra locks? He may come back...
Monday 13 March 2017 12.14pm
Yes, I didn't post pic because I thought it would be an issue. He's been reported and I've sent the police a copy.

I switched the Allen key bolts with security torx versions, which would defeat this particular method of theft.
Tuesday 14 March 2017 5.11pm

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 14 March 2017 5.57pm
How would security torx help? You can buy the bits anywhere, can't you?
Tuesday 14 March 2017 9.29pm
Well yes, but It's a further deterrent. A professional thief will get your bike whatever you do to stop them, but I imagine a fair proportion of stolen bikes are down to opportunists and addicts looking to make quick cash. The likelihood they have anything other than a set of Allen keys and a bolt cropper ready to hand is going to push them toward the easier theft.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: