Borough community centre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 29 May 2001 11.12pm
The Borough Community Centre Building on the corner of Union St and Southwark Bridge Road is a large building- it used to be a full blown library if you read on the inscriptions on the front you will see this.

There used to be a lot of community activities going on there - music school for primary school kids, church meetings, dance groups, all sorts and so on.

Southwark council closed the building down due to "safety regulations" over a year ago on the pretense- presumably - that they were going to renovate the building. Of course they have done nothing of the sort. Nothing is happening inside this building and it is in danger of becoming derelict.

I encourage all people who visit this website to go and look at the building and think about taking it back to proper community usage instead of council dereliction - by occupancy if necessary! The idea that Southwark council put forward, that this building was unsafe, is clearly a total nonsense - otherwise someone would have started work on it to make it safe. Let's face it - the council are bogged down in property speculation once again and have no interest in retaining this building for the benefit of all of us.

Go to your councillor and confront them with this issue.
Sunday 3 June 2001 11.01pm
I agreed completely abour your opinion!!
This centre should be given back to the community, to celebrate the spirit of Borough with arts, music, classes, activities for the kids, a meeting place for the locals and others.
Pity that the council has a different view !!
The community as a whole should raise its voice and rescue the Borough Community Centre for the benefit of everyone.
Monday 4 June 2001 5.55pm
i totally agree. they will probably let it get to the stage where they claim it is too expensive to refurbish and will sell the site.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: