Community Roadwatch

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 24 March 2017 1.08pm
Are we certain that the police intended to get the letters out within 14 days as they said, and didn't do so by accident, or is it optional for them whether or not to send them out at all? we need to know.

Enforcement of the 20 limit is not only pathetic, it can actually -- as I have found while driving my car -- dangerous to stick to it. You get hooted at and angry drivers overtake you because "everybody knows" the 20mph limit is never enforced.
Friday 24 March 2017 2.29pm
The article is here: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/9148

Didn't the Met publicly announce they wouldn't enforce the 20mph limit? Or is that one of those rumours you hear from a bloke in the pub.

The police statement is amusing: they couldn't meet their own self-imposed deadline to send the warning letters so just didn't bother.
Zoe
Friday 24 March 2017 7.27pm
I wonder where the evidence is that 20mph zones are dangerous? We need more enforcement not higher speed limits.
Friday 24 March 2017 10.14pm
"Lower" speed limits, surely?

the law is the law. I think in this case it really was an administrative oversight on the letters. Police have been doing a similar community speed watch in Lambeth and sent out loads of letters to those breaching 20mph by big margins. the idea is to bring about a gradual change in speed culture, not whack drivers with big fines and cause resentment.
Zoe
Saturday 25 March 2017 7.35pm
No, higher speed limits. If you are suggesting that 20mph is dangerous the alternative is to return to a 30mph as I presume you aren't proposing to introduce a 10mph zone.

I think 20mph should be enforced. I have found they are safer, if a bit annoying.
Saturday 25 March 2017 8.14pm
Zoe wrote:
No, higher speed limits. If you are suggesting that 20mph is dangerous the alternative is to return to a 30mph as I presume you aren't proposing to introduce a 10mph zone.
I think 20mph should be enforced. I have found they are safer, if a bit annoying.

I think the point being made was that 20mph limits can be dangerous BECAUSE some drivers not only ignore them but then get aggressive towards any other driver who gets in their way by driving at the correct speed.
Saturday 25 March 2017 10.33pm
A blanket 20mph is bonkers.
20 is far too fast at some times - and needlessly slow at others.
We need engaged, considerate drivers and the active enforcement against inappropriate driving.

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 26 March 2017 4.04pm
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I want 20mph speed limits on residential roads, and they should be enforced. What I meant about it being dangerous to observe 20 mph was simply that because 20 is rarely enforced, most drivers go at 30 and get annoyed with drivers observing the correct 20 limit. If the 20 limit were better enforced, drivers would not ignore it.
Zoe
Sunday 26 March 2017 5.35pm
hughknew wrote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I want 20mph speed limits on residential roads, and they should be enforced. What I meant about it being dangerous to observe 20 mph was simply that because 20 is rarely enforced, most drivers go at 30 and get annoyed with drivers observing the correct 20 limit. If the 20 limit were better enforced, drivers would not ignore it.

Totally agree!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: