Shops / Restaurants - Brandon House

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Tuesday 15 May 2018 8.17am
Yes you are complaining again, does my head in. I grew up in Marshalsea rd, lol yea everyone's vulnerable when we have a gripe. I now live right by the ambulance station in Waterloo rd, wanna guess how noisy that is? It comes with the territory, to object to a restaurant in that spot is plain ridiculous.

And can we quit with the social housing dwellers not being able to move or not having the choice nonsense, I'm sure there are plenty of people only too willing to swap for a place smack bang in the middle of London with dirt cheap rents.

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely sympathise with people whose lives are made a misery by noise, it does get tiresome when one can smell the politics. It's all about logic for me, I would more likely have a problem with the Gladstone being a live music gaff and people boozing outside than any restaurant.

Has anyone been complaining about the Gladstone?
Tuesday 15 May 2018 9.45am
Who's talking about dirt cheap rent? What on earth has that got to do with anything,?
You think people who live in social housing have no right to complain? You think people who live in Central London and have drunk people screaming and shouting outside their door at 3am have no right to complain? And no, not everyone who has a gripe is vulnerable but those elderly and infirm who live alone and are woken up in the middle of the night by noisy inconsiderate drunks are.
Tuesday 15 May 2018 1.02pm
Riverside67 wrote:
You think people who live in Central London and have drunk people screaming and shouting outside their door at 3am have no right to complain?
That depends on circumstances. There are some (true story) who simply do not see the irony of spending a huge sum of money for a flat in sight of the video billboard on Piccadilly Circus, who then go on to object to planning and licence applications on the basis of noise, drunkenness, light pollution (oh, irony on ironies!), additional traffic, uncollected refuse from other establishments etc. etc. etc. It's the same phenomena as those who buy homes under flight paths and then go on to complain about aircraft noise.
Wednesday 16 May 2018 10.53am
Riverside67 wrote:
Who's talking about dirt cheap rent? What on earth has that got to do with anything,?
You think people who live in social housing have no right to complain? You think people who live in Central London and have drunk people screaming and shouting outside their door at 3am have no right to complain? And no, not everyone who has a gripe is vulnerable but those elderly and infirm who live alone and are woken up in the middle of the night by noisy inconsiderate drunks are.

Like I say, I grew up in Marshalsea road. It has never ever been a quiet road, there has always been drunks and loud, inconsiderate people. Do you seriously expect there to be more loudness from a new restaurant than from, say, The Lord Clyde? Do you ever complain about that? Or as mentioned, The Gladstone?
You should have been around when the John Gerrard club was buzzing.
Interested to know where the loud people at 3am are coming from.
Wednesday 16 May 2018 11.01am
The reason I mentioned dirt cheap rents is because it's always us complaining about the new additions, when I think it is worthy I back it, when I think it is nonsense I say so. I think we have to be careful that we don't complain ourselves out of the area completely. Money talks.
Thursday 17 May 2018 12.42pm
Well I have lived there for 27 years and I can tell you for certain that the loud noise fron drunks has got worse. We now have far more students and student accommodation which doesnt help. And yes, I am going to mention the students!

I dont care how loud money talks when I have people defecating in my stairwell, pulling up our plant pots for fun and having a half our conversation under my window at 3am while trying to hail a cab then I am going to complain !!!
Wednesday 27 June 2018 3.08pm
Residents of the new Brandon House flats have got a petition against Fora Space's premises licence:

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgAi.aspx?ID=50470#mgDocuments

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 27 June 2018 4.51pm
If the space already has a3 (food and drink) use most of the objections will fall on deaf ears since the Council will have already tacitly accepted that a premises licence is expected and acceptable. Indeed, without knowing the history it is possible the council required the A3 use as part of the planning mix. The residents might have done better to go back to their solicitors and ask why they were not advised that a restaurant was to be a neighbour.
Wednesday 27 June 2018 10.26pm
Riverside67 wrote:
Well I have lived there for 27 years and I can tell you for certain that the loud noise fron drunks has got worse. We now have far more students and student accommodation which doesnt help. And yes, I am going to mention the students!
I dont care how loud money talks when I have people defecating in my stairwell, pulling up our plant pots for fun and having a half our conversation under my window at 3am while trying to hail a cab then I am going to complain !!!

I agree with you 100%, it has got worse in past 5/6 years. Worse and at times unbearable. I have lived in the area for 25+ years, no problem. I am moving as soon as I can because I am tired of drunks pissing, defacating, shouting, taking drugs - everything, under my bedroom window. The police drive by, no problem it seems! Two of my neighbours have left in past year, considering it to be “too crazy”. It’s a shame because it could be fab. I love the centrality of the area.
Thursday 28 June 2018 11.03am
Absolutely Rimby. The change has been significant. It's not noise per se that I am complaining about but the general behaviour of people. Have you seen Borough High Street on a Friday/Sat ? It's not pleasant. It is a shame because it is a great area location wise. Dont quite understand why some people think this is acceptable just because it's Central London or that because we live in social housing we have to shut up and put up !
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network