Tesco Tower Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 28 March 2017 8.38am
Just thought I'd share our recent experience of Tesco TBR. It has been a while since I've been in there and standards have dropped drastically. The store was dirty, with black marks all over the floor and brown spots where food items had clearly spilled and not being cleaned up.

More concerning was the approach to food hygiene. It was a warm day and trays of chicken breast and other meat products were left out on cages near to the door of the shop and along the first aisle. They were warm to the touch. Supposedly fresh sandwiches were in a cardboard outer sat on the floor near to the stock room entrance (by the in-store bakery selection). Long-time customers of this branch will know of rodent difficulties.

As if that wasn't bad enough, when I approached the manager he said they'd only been there for half an hour and that they had lots of cages to put away and only one staff member: "Look, we always do it this way". He really didn't see the objection, even though I told him the meat was now almost warm. The manager disappeared off into the back, leaving the stock there!

Very shocked at this approach to food safety and wouldn't shop here again. I've sent the feedback to Tesco but thought I'd share it here too. Much better is the Sainsbury's up the road at Bermondsey Square (marginally) or Long Lane (much better).
Tuesday 28 March 2017 11.13am
Aren't they closing soon to allow for the demolition of the building? Might explain the lapse in standards.
Tuesday 28 March 2017 1.06pm
Ah, that could well offer some context - though no excuse IMO. I was oblivious to the demolition.
Tuesday 28 March 2017 5.00pm
There was a planning application but I don't think it was ever validated by the council, let alone determined.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 29 March 2017 12.14pm
The cash machine outside has also been removed.
Wednesday 29 March 2017 10.17pm
I fully concur: the quality of Tesco TBR has taken a significant plunge. Not just in terms of hygiene, but also in their offering and customer service. It is not the friendly store it once was, when they had the nicest security guard ever.

The ATM had nothing to do with Tesco, but it's a real bore it has disappeared.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: