New school in Borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 31 March 2017 12.47pm
I understand a planning application has been put forward for a new secondary school in the old fire station on SBR.

That's a 1000 pupils.

What with all the new builds going up including Brandon House was wondering what impact this would have on the Borough tube. I heard it may have to close if passenger volume increases due to safety concerns.
Friday 31 March 2017 3.18pm
Where do you envisage the pupils will be travelling from to get to the new school?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 31 March 2017 3.35pm
I thought the point of the new school is that there aren't enough secondaries for the local population hence pupils would travel on foot, bicycle, perhaps bus.
People, usually, don't use the tube for 1 or 2 stops.
I see more issues with cars, if parents start picking up kids by car on rainy days for example, if school staff is allowed to park inside.
All of this could be a total disaster in the morning cause the area is already congested with cars and lorries in the morning. I hope at least the cars entrance won't be in Southwark Bridge road.
Saturday 1 April 2017 6.03pm
Most school children travel on foot or by bus. The tube is expensive for them & their families. I do not think it will have an effect on Borough Tube station.
Saturday 1 April 2017 7.09pm
Well, it might reduce passengers at the station if local kids don't have to travel to get to school...

Monday 3 April 2017 12.13pm
I have been informed that the pupils will be coming from as far as Brixton Deptford and Peckham so they may well travel by tube. I don't have a problem with the school. As local residents we are concerned however that Borough tube may close if passenger numbers increase to a level where safety issues are raised. Just for the record, there are two new schools: a primary for up to 250 children near St George's Church and the secondary school on SBR holding 1000.
Monday 3 April 2017 1.15pm
Informed by whom? The school isn't even open. How could anyone know where the pupils will be coming from?

Sounds like pure speculation to me. Academies can set their own admission criteria, and (unless I've missed it somewhere) the proposed academy hasn't yet done this, so nobody knows.

However, if you look at the current criteria of academies in Southwark (see the second half of the brochure here: http://www.2.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/2484/secondary_school_admissions ) then pretty much all the non-religious academies allocate places by proximity to the school (after giving priority to looked-after children, children of staff, etc). Even the ones who give priority based on religion will then allocate any remaining places on proximity.

Given the shortage of places in the area, together with the high number of primary schools nearby, I find it unlikely that the catchment area will extend very far at all.

Monday 3 April 2017 1.39pm
^ seconded.
Monday 3 April 2017 3.45pm
I've never heard of tube stations closing because they're popular!
Tuesday 4 April 2017 9.33am
You've never heard of tube stations closing when passenger numbers get to the level that it causes a safety issue?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: