New tall buildings at E&C knocking out TV/Satellite reception

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 28 April 2017 10.05am
Hi all
Having a bit of a strange issue, wondering if anyone else in the area has experienced. l live on the Kennington side of E&C, and noticed a strange issue with my Sky TV reception in the last couple of months.

Whole bands of channels become unavailable (no signal notice) or reception is really garbled.

I had Sky out twice and each time they were able to make a tweak that kept things working for a little while until the last visit this week. The engineer claims that the new building around St Mary's Churchyard/Newington Butts is after directly interrupting the beam of the satellite, and nothing can be done other than erecting a tall pole for the satellite dish on top of the house!

Anyone else experienced this?

I have looked for a relevant outlet to lodge a complain but have come up with nothing so far, any ideas appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul
Friday 28 April 2017 1.38pm
our free view recep is awful in particular between 6- 9pm
Saturday 29 April 2017 11.52am
Sorry but the rights and comfort of the rich are more important to Southwark Council than people who actually live here.
Saturday 29 April 2017 4.46pm
MIne keeps going out and I live in Kennington side but my dish points south easterly so don't see how the building would obstruct it.
Sunday 30 April 2017 6.17pm
Poppop wrote:
MIne keeps going out and I live in Kennington side but my dish points south easterly so don't see how the building would obstruct it.

Yes: all TV satellite dishes in the northern hemisphere point to the south, since the TV satellites in space hold a geostationary position over the equator.

In practice this means that any structure to the north of the dish will not interfere with reception.

BTW: if you ever get lost, and it is nighttime so you are unable to orient using the sun, look for satellite dishes as they will indicate the south.
Monday 1 May 2017 6.37am
Poppop wrote:

In his book, Some Lives, David Widgery reported that the first towers at Canary Wharf affected the (terrestrial) television reception of areas of North East London by reflecting the signal so that two out-of-phase signals were received and superimposed.

I've no idea whether that might be going on here, though.
Wednesday 3 May 2017 7.32pm
The same issue happened a few years ago with the TFL building opposite Southwark Tube. All the residents behind it lost thier Sky signal. The developer was forced to pay for the cost for Virgin to cable the estate.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: