New Bakerloo line tube station at the Elephant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 2 May 2017 4.45pm
A bit worried as my place seems to be in the area marked for the new tube station at Elephant. Given the recent history of local CPOs I wonder when the actual areas will be defined as according to Southwark News TFL will not be requiring the entire area they have marked out of the map which is in this weeks Southwark News. Anyone know anything?
Tuesday 2 May 2017 6.41pm
I thought of that too. We live in the same street which is a conservation area (although my building is a 60's estate so I guess it is prime for eviction and compulsory sale).
It would make sense if they built it on the London College of Communication as it is going to be redeveloped anyway... What about the small pocket park, that would also be a cheap option to redevelop, even if it would be very sad to lose another public space (after they built on the basketball playground across the road) .
Tuesday 2 May 2017 7.10pm
I think they may need a lot of space for new tunnels etc. The most obvious place to me is right behind the current Bakerloo line station as they are pulling all that down behind to build huge skyscraper things with gardens on top which is of course why they won't use that space. They are going to need more space than the pocket park for sure. I think Perronet Hoyse was built by some famous architect so they probably won't demolish that. Things are not looking great!
Wednesday 3 May 2017 9.32am
chavender wrote:
I think they may need a lot of space for new tunnels etc. The most obvious place to me is right behind the current Bakerloo line station as they are pulling all that down behind to build huge skyscraper things with gardens on top which is of course why they won't use that space. They are going to need more space than the pocket park for sure. I think Perronet Hoyse was built by some famous architect so they probably won't demolish that. Things are not looking great!

Judging by the works for Crossrail, I think the problem is not so much space to build a new station but the huge works- and access-sites they will need. For example, they'll need space for a vertical access shaft to lower those massive tunneling machines down. And they don't seem to be averse to demolishing perfectly good buildings to give them the space they need.

In theory, this would only be until construction is complete - but they do tend to hang on to space for permanent access and ventilation shafts.
Wednesday 3 May 2017 12.35pm
If they need space, I guess the useless plaza could be used instead and have both Northern and Bakerloo lines stations in just one spot...
Not sure where the existing tracks align overground... A neighbour also told me that there were Royal Mail tunnels as well...
Wednesday 3 May 2017 5.45pm
The shopping centre is coming down so why can't they use this area instead of knocking down people's homes.
Thursday 4 May 2017 1.22pm
An acquaintance of mine is selling his house at the OKR end of Asylum Rd. Peckham, close to the proposed Bakerloo Line extension station by Toys'r'Us in OKR.
Initially he was buoyed by the proposals, envisaging interest from prospective commuters.
After a flurry of enquiries, after which he reduced the asking price slightly, as his wife is keen to kiss Peckham goodbye, he has had virtually no viewers.
His wife is convinced that prospective buyers are being put off by the thought of living on a virtual building site for Christ knows how long.
Thursday 4 May 2017 3.15pm
This is the fear that we will not be able to sell because of planning blight for the foreseable future and not know whether our houses are going to be demolished.
jpm
Tuesday 9 May 2017 12.33pm
I'm pretty sure that the two lines meet more or less directly under the Faraday Memorial (in the middle of the roundabout/plaza.

3D map of what Elephant & Castle looks like underground is at https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2015/07/12/3d-maps-of-every-underground-station-cdefg/
jpm
Tuesday 9 May 2017 12.34pm
connie wrote:
If they need space, I guess the useless plaza could be used instead and have both Northern and Bakerloo lines stations in just one spot...
Not sure where the existing tracks align overground... A neighbour also told me that there were Royal Mail tunnels as well...

I'm pretty sure that the two lines meet more or less directly under the Faraday Memorial (in the middle of the roundabout/plaza.

3D map of what Elephant & Castle looks like underground is at https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2015/07/12/3d-maps-of-every-underground-station-cdefg/
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: