Robot droid roaming the streets of SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 3 May 2017 4.56pm
Has anyone else seen the white, six-wheeled 'droid' that has been roaming the streets of SE1 in recent days. Size of a large dog, with cameras on the front, and a flag sticking up. Usually accompanied by a person who is walking alongside it, from a slight distance.

I sense it's some Google-like Streetview video recording device. Anyone know what this is doing?
Wednesday 3 May 2017 5.05pm
No, although I've seen it two or three times just outside The Roebuck pub.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 3 May 2017 5.38pm
I had a chat with its chaperone as we all waited for the lights to change at Borough tube, a couple weeks back. As it trundled to the centre island, the young guy was proudly telling me about its nine cameras that could read the road and lights at junctions. As the lights changed to green we both stared at the stationary machine. It couldn't see the green man behind the slatted cover over the light.

Adjust that algorithm.
Wednesday 3 May 2017 10.48pm
Yes it's takeaway delivery. A friend of mine in Redman house on Lant Street had a delivery from one a couple of weks ago. He was annoyed because he had to leave his flat and go down to the ground floor since a robot can't open the door. The chaperone wasn't happy with the situation either.
We were sat outside the Miller earlier this evening when one went past.
Friday 5 May 2017 12.55pm
'He was annoyed because he had to leave his flat and go down to the ground floor since a robot can't open the door.'

Yep. Poor design. Needs a Transformer mode.

"From here, the fight will be your own." Optimus Prime
Friday 5 May 2017 2.36pm
I prefer Daleks myself.
They would just blow the door down.
Friday 5 May 2017 8.04pm
JazzyQ wrote:
I prefer Daleks myself.

You'd have to pay them though, and they probably have high demands. I should think the purpose of the delivery robot is to replace the paid staff.

I'm amazed these things are going to be allowed out without it's human. Machines go wrong. Will we have to wait for the first accident caused by malfunctioning Big Trak for them to just be banned anyway? Let's hope it's not a serious one.
Friday 5 May 2017 8.33pm
beetroot wrote:
JazzyQ wrote:
I prefer Daleks myself.

You'd have to pay them though, and they probably have high demands. I should think the purpose of the delivery robot is to replace the paid staff.

I'm amazed these things are going to be allowed out without it's human. Machines go wrong. Will we have to wait for the first accident caused by malfunctioning Big Trak for them to just be banned anyway? Let's hope it's not a serious one.
Did you miss the bit about the chaperone?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 5 May 2017 9.05pm
I can just imagine these drones being turned upside down and left on their backs by drunken revelers, or being broken into by hungry people on their way home from the pub as an alternative to the usual kebab...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: