Southwark Council pledge to build 1,500 homes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 10 May 2017 8.11am
So the council has finally admitted that it is not even a quarter of a way to its own highly-publicised target of building 1,500 new council homes by 2018, with a paltry 400 built to date.

With 941 homes gone on the Heygate and 778 to be lost in total on the Aylesbury, by 2018 there will be 1,319 fewer council homes than we started with. The Labour council goes on about being the biggest builder of new council homes, yet I don't believe there is another council anywhere that has knocked down as many council homes as Southwark has. Scandalous!
Wednesday 10 May 2017 8.32am
Seconded!
Wednesday 10 May 2017 9.25am
Do you ever feel like you are in one of those bad dream states where you can't move or wake up?
This is how I feel when I read the litany of housing lies told by our council.
People's lives have been destroyed by this greed, and what do we have?
Towers and more towers sold to overseas investors whilst people need homes to live in. Empty developments sold as "vibrant quarters" or some such marketing rubbish. Even vegetables are now "curated" in this mad world.

"Nurse, JazzyQ is out of bed again"
Wednesday 10 May 2017 4.40pm
"So the council has finally admitted that it is not even a quarter of a way to its own highly-publicised target of building 1,500 new council homes by 2018, with a paltry 400 built to date. "

400 is 26.6% of 1,500, which is more than a quarter. Do you mean a net increase in council homes of 1,500 (allowing for the one ones they've knocked down)?
Wednesday 10 May 2017 9.46pm
400 is more than a quarter, however:
"Nearly 300 new council homes are already completed with residents already moved in..." said the councillor quoted in the article. They're forecasting 400 by the end of next year, which could be recklessly optimistic for all we know.

"Nearly 300". We have to guess what it is exactly
Monday 15 May 2017 10.05am
No great surprise there. That's a remarkably low percentage of what was promised. Of course I am in favour of council house provision, as many as possible, but one of the main reasons for the decline In numbers is the continued selling off of these properties. In a few years time, the stock of even new council homes will have been eroded once again & the situation will be no different. One of the most pernicious of Margaret Thatcher's innovations, in my opinion, was the right to buy ruling which has helped significantly to reduce the social housing stock. In London, with property prices so high, there is nothing to stop people selling off at inflated prices & making a large profit & who can blame them? Even the housing expressly earmarked for housing the elderly in my area has been exploited by buy to let agents & is now full of young renters. At the same time elderly disabled people have been confined to their 3rd floor flats , on the council list for years (since 2002 in one case I came across), & unable to get out & move to suitable accommodation.
Monday 15 May 2017 1.21pm
I'm unsure if it's corruption or just incompetance....

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: