Hungerford Bridge Pocket Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 11 May 2017 12.15am
Hi folks,

We are a little group of Londoners working on a proposal to take over some unused spaces which we walk past everyday on Hungerford Bridge and turn them into community gardens/pocket parks and want to get your input or involvement.

The spaces are currently redundant and yet they have some of the best views in London, which is why we want to bring them into public use. In particular there are two high-level semi-circular platforms could be unlocked with very little funding - all that is required would be a very short span linkage bridge, balustrades, and of course plants.

- What do you think of the proposal?
- Would you like to get involved? Either through following progress and sharing on facebook or twitter, or helping to make this a reality? Are you a community gardener at the moment and would you like to garden on Hungerford bridge?

We are hoping to launch a crowdfunding page soon to make this happen, so all comments and suggestions are welcome

Many thanks!
Lottie
Thursday 11 May 2017 8.21pm
Sounds like a worthwhile initiative!
Friday 12 May 2017 7.36am
Fantastic idea. Everything the garden bridge wasn't.
Friday 12 May 2017 9.53am
What a fabulous idea. Every time I walk over Hungerford foot bridge, I think how ugly the unused bits are and wonder if anything could be done to make them more attractive. Now the garden bridge appears to be dead in the water, how about contacting the (apparently) bereft supporters to ask them to fund your proposal. They'd get a mini / partial garden bridge for a fraction of the cost of the original. Genius!
Zoe
Friday 12 May 2017 6.28pm
Same here Suziq, I have thought about doing something myself. Glad to see it happening.
Saturday 13 May 2017 3.29pm
It is a good idea, those platforms are embarrassingly unsightly. I think it'll get opposition from Network Rail because they won't want the hassle and will probably make various safety arguments. But if you can get some celebrity to back the idea then a lot of the problems might melt away...
Saturday 13 May 2017 5.17pm
Thanks guys! Great to hear such positive comments!
Suziq, good idea - I'll send some emails out - hopefully they won't get entirely ignored
Pete, I agree getting Network Rail permission will be tricky, getting them to even talk to me is hard enough. I hope that as it used to be accessible and part of the old footbridge, that any safety arguments can be countered.
If anyone is keen to join forces to try and make this happen drop me a message :)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: