Card skimming SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 13 May 2017 2.34pm
I normally only use the cash points at the tescos or sainsburys on the cut - and always cover the keypad when tapping in my pin (and always give the card insert bit a few tugs to make sure its genuine)

a few weeks back late at night at i used the cashpoint outside the sainsburys opposite waterloo station - its the sort of kiosk one that gives out 5 notes

Could be making assumptions , but thats the only cashpoint i used in the past month or so that was not my two "regular" ones - about a week later i get a text from my bank saying my card is being used overseas - gave my bank a call and someone was using the strip from the back of the card to withdraw cash in India !!!!! it seems now they dont even need your pin just a copy of the strip off the back of the card !!
Tuesday 16 May 2017 11.55am
your card information may have been skimmed electronically using chip and pin as visa information is carried without encryption from paying spot to main data terminal by wifi. if the pin was used, this is a skimmer and camera at the hole in the wall.
Tuesday 16 May 2017 5.55pm
Some fraudsters use a fake keypad overlay instead of a camera.
Saturday 20 May 2017 6.01pm
Best to use ATMs at bank branches
Sunday 21 May 2017 1.08pm
My bank recommended only using the ATM's inside the branches as they can keep an eye on these. The ones in the street are regularly tampered with.
Sunday 21 May 2017 4.15pm
JazzyQ wrote:
My bank recommended only using the ATM's inside the branches as they can keep an eye on these. The ones in the street are regularly tampered with.

The machines inside the bank (at least at Barclays) have a higher withdrawal limit - and staff on hand to help if anything goes wrong. The ATM's on the wall outside are not their responsibility - if one swallows your card or otherwise misbehaves you'll still have to phone the card company in the usual way - the bank branch staff can't help.
Thursday 25 May 2017 8.50am
Or try to remember to ask for cashback at supermarkets.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: