General Election 2017 - Bermondsey & Old Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 16 May 2017 10.22am
As the General Election campaigning gets into full swing, we had the first hustings for Bermondsey & Old Southwark last night in the Anglican cathedral. Did anyone have any thoughts on it?

My impression is that the campaign in Bermondsey & Old Southwark is interesting, but not important.

The two parties that might win have put up good local candidates who are both against Brexit, and the Tories have done their usual thing of parachuting someone in with little local history, knowledge, or hope of winning.

I'm glad the Greens and UKIP have stood candidates, too, since it's good to hear other policies.
Sunday 21 May 2017 5.20pm
Tonight's hustings at St Mary Newington will be live-streamed on this page from 7pm:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/9223

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 21 May 2017 5.34pm
We've had 4 Lib Dem leaflets through the door, and one from Labour. And that's it to date.
That's in Riverside Ward, so would be interested to hear if Labour are targeting those around Elephant & Castle.
Sunday 21 May 2017 7.44pm
exigo wrote:
We've had 4 Lib Dem leaflets through the door, and one from Labour. And that's it to date.
That's in Riverside Ward, so would be interested to hear if Labour are targeting those around Elephant & Castle.

I live at the Elephant.

So far I have received four leaflets and one door knock from Labour, and also a letter on House of Commons stationery from Neil Coyle posted just before the dissolution of Parliament.

I have also received one Lib Dem leaflet but no door knocks.

None of the other candidates for Bermondsey and Old Southwark have dropped off leaflets or knocked at my door.

I don't know what the current statistics are saying, but I have a feeling that this is going to be a very close call for Coyle and Hughes:

Some people once voted for Hughes, but at the 2012 elections felt it was time for a change and voted for Coyle. Some of these may well regret having done so and could revert their preference to Hughes.

Others, who are Labour through and through, may decide to vote against Coyle due to his disloyalty towards Corbyn, and his 'little snitch' behaviour displayed when he recently reported Hughes to the police.

Some people, instead, are still disappointed at the Tory-Lib Dem coalition government, so they may well vote for Coyle.

Either way, whoever of the two candidates ends up in Westminster will be part of the opposition to the Tories.

Personally, I am supporting Simon Hughes.
Sunday 21 May 2017 10.27pm
Unfortunately the sound was a bit rubbish on the Facebook video stream so here's an amplified audio-only version:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 21 May 2017 10.41pm
I went to the hustings tonight. I thought it was well chaired by Evan Davis, While all candidates had their say I do not think anyone was in any doubt that the real contest was between Neil Coyle and Simon Hughes. Both had every opportunity to put their case but I thought that Mr Coyle concentrated too much on making personal attacks on Simon Hughes. Indeed at one point a lady in the audience criticised this "slagging off" and appealed for more constructive comment.

It was interesting that when Evan Davis asked the audience whether they agreed with the Lib Dem proposal to call a referendum on the ultimate Brexit deal at least half of them said yes. As and when the true shape of the deal starts to emerge this idea may well gather support, even among some who voted "leave". Someone has to sign off the deal and I for one would have severe doubts about letting only the politicians rather than the people have the final say. After all this is going to shape our lives for decades to come.

Anyhow thanks are due to Canon Giles Fraser for laying this on in his church.
Sunday 21 May 2017 11.39pm
denis loretto wrote:
I went to the hustings tonight. I thought it was well chaired by Evan Davis, While all candidates had their say I do not think anyone was in any doubt that the real contest was between Neil Coyle and Simon Hughes. Both had every opportunity to put their case but I thought that Mr Coyle concentrated too much on making personal attacks on Simon Hughes. Indeed at one point a lady in the audience criticised this "slagging off" and appealed for more constructive comment.

One could almost smell the fear in Coyle's frantic and garrulous attacks against his calm and measured opponent...
Monday 22 May 2017 12.50am
Simon Hughes was an MP in opposition for most of his career. During the one brief occasion in power when he had the chance to prove himself he didn't. He's a pretty appalling MP and I'm sad to see the possibility of him coming back. Also disappointing that the Lib Dems couldn't give a chance to someone new to run, instead of digging Hughes up out of his political grave.

I think Neil Coyle has also ruined his reputation with his sponsoring and then subsequent stabbing of Corbyn. Any centre Labourites won't forgive him for putting Corbyns name forward; any left wingers won't like the way he spent so much time and energy publicly putting the boot into his leader.

FPP single member constituency elections are awful for reducing most to a binary choice. I might not bother to vote this year.
Monday 22 May 2017 9.33am
I couldn't agree more with the attack by kevinruairi on our archaic First Past the Post voting system but unfortunately there seems little appetite among our electorate to change it. While we have it, there is no doubt that a contest like ours in B&OS is in effect a straight fight between Hughes and Coyle.

Where I part company with kevinruairi is his description of Hughes as having been "a pretty appalling MP" . Whatever their national party preferences may be, local people will generally admit that Hughes was a remarkably diligent and helpful constituency representative. How on earth could "a pretty appalling MP" have been elected here 7 times over a 32 year period? Frankly I think he has been sadly missed in the last 2 years.
Monday 22 May 2017 11.02am
I agree with denis loretto that Simon Hughes was a "remarkably diligent and helpful constituency representative" Every time we asked for help, he answered letters promptly, and resolved the issues that were of concern to us. He has been sadly missed in the last two years.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: