Automatic deletion of social history

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 16 May 2017 10.29pm
Here we go again - automatic demolition of our beautiful historic social history! We hope many responses to NSP were: No automatic demolition of our social history. This Edwardian building in the way of progress for SBU is sickening!
This is supposed to be an educational establishment? I would seriously question that claim! They've clearly learnt 0 about social history and architectural merit!

This is a beautiful building and should be reused for the local community, for education or other community use - PLEASE KEEP THIS BEAUTIFUL BUILDING!

Wilful blindness is worse than those who are genuinely disabled!
Wednesday 17 May 2017 11.25am
It seems to me that this destruction of our area and its history is deliberate, and based on greed as the land is valuable, but our opinions and views count for nothing.
Thursday 18 May 2017 1.48pm
They are turning the area into some corporate ghetto.
Friday 19 May 2017 1.16pm
Aside from the old main block on Borough Road, LSBU is responsible for some of the ugliest buildings in the area. So it's a shame they're going to flatten one of the only remaining old buildings, if that is indeed the intention.

Meanwhile I heard something on the radio about this the other day, and thought of all the places being thrown up around here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4517946/Don-t-waste-money-shoddy-new-builds-says-Allsopp.html
Saturday 27 May 2017 12.54pm
Agree with the previous comment. LSBU has got so many ugly building to get rid of. Starting from that concrete monster on the corner between Southwark Bridge Road and Borough Road.
Instead they pick the only attractive building on their site. I'm scared by their statements "to preserve the heritage of the site WHERE POSSIBLE" and "If there are foundation stones, we will also ensure that they are carefully incorporated into the new building IF APPROPRIATE".
Very short sighted.
Tuesday 17 October 2017 8.52am
I think mixing the old with the new works well. the Edwardian building needs to stay.
I also think a good mix of people from different backgrounds makes a healthy sociality.
tearing down Hugh Astor Court is a bad move.
the founder of Peabody social housing build housing for the underprivileged because he believed that by forming communities and providing good basic housing that people would improve their life's and look to the future.
Hugh Astor Court was built for homeless people and people who where recovering from different addictions or illnesses that had left them down on their luck.
within the block lived a good community that helped and more important, supported each other.
placing Hugh Astor Court in the middle of a uni block was a positive move by Peabody in the first instance because it made the residents think about training and education, think about ways they could improve their life's and that of their children.
you cannot justify braking up a vulnerable community and scattering them to the winds so you can build a showy big building, that is no more than tomorrows eyesore.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network