38 storey, ugly square block for ITV

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 23 May 2017 4.07pm
Is this really the best they can offer, a featureless, lifeless 38 storey block - this architecture couldn't get much worse, do we really need it? We have too much ugliness around thank you. Too many sore thumbs! Let's go back to basics:
bricks and tiles, not cold, impersonal square nonsense please. We have many truly beautiful buildings on Southwark's boundary with Lambeth so what do we get?
But the more we complain, the more they're likely to be awarded something!
What a waste of time and energy with computer-aided designs, where's your imagination gone?
Tuesday 23 May 2017 4.21pm
The picture is of the existing 1970s building. We have no idea what the new one will look like yet.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 23 May 2017 5.51pm
Hahaha
Tuesday 23 May 2017 7.38pm
I worked for years at the London Television Centre and know it well.

It was designed so that it could easily be turned into a hotel if LWT didn't work out.

It would make an excellent residential building without any need to demolish it, and the studios section (low-rise, on the western side) is huge: Studio One could easily hold an Olympic swimming pool and an Olympic sized audience, and the other studios are pretty big too.
The backstage area, where all the sets, lights, etc are held is also massive, and there is a large underground car park.

It seems such a shame that this iconic building may come down after almost 50 years as a London landmark.
Tuesday 23 May 2017 7.47pm
Jules62 wrote:
I worked for years at the London Television Centre and know it well.
It was designed so that it could easily be turned into a hotel if LWT didn't work out.

It would make an excellent residential building without any need to demolish it, and the studios section (low-rise, on the western side) is huge: Studio One could easily hold an Olympic swimming pool and an Olympic sized audience, and the other studios are pretty big too.
The backstage area, where all the sets, lights, etc are held is also massive, and there is a large underground car park.

It seems such a shame that this iconic building may come down after almost 50 years as a London landmark.

Agreed
Wednesday 24 May 2017 10.01am
How do you know it's ugly and featureless? Are there mock up images available to view anywhere?
Wednesday 24 May 2017 2.44pm
I like the ITV building, it's as shame if it were to be demolished.
Wednesday 24 May 2017 10.39pm
It looks like the development will consume/eliminate Gabriel's Wharf. I think that would be a pity; though I believe the site was always intended to be an interim use, it has been there so long it has become an established and interesting part of the area. I don't imagine rents in the new development will be affordable to current traders.
Wednesday 24 May 2017 11.23pm
Luke - Gabriel's Wharf isn't within the 'red line' boundary of ITV's EIA scoping application to Lambeth for this development.

The ITV site and Gabriel's Wharf are, however, bundled up as a single site in Lambeth planning policy. But that doesn't mean they will necessarily be developed together.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 25 May 2017 7.50pm
Thank you for the clarification James, that's very helpful. It would be interesting to know more about how long Gabriel's Wharf will exist; I see Coin St Community Builders are responsible for the site, and their website extols the current use but then says
Quote:
As ever in our community and the area it is in, there is a lot going on and a great deal of change planned or taking place. Our plans for the permanent development of Gabrielís wharf remain unchanged; to provide a care home and improve our services and facilities for older people in our community.
I hadn't realised that.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: