"Mamma Mia: The Party" coming to Coin Street?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 20 October 2017 10.58pm
I will have to hide this info from my g/friend . i was forced under protest to watch the theatre show with her ......
Saturday 21 October 2017 1.37am
CSCB file minimal accounts, which you have to be an expert to understand, although I have gleaned:
- CSCB turnover is massive - 8.5m for 2015/6, including 3m in rents, 2.7m from site hires, 630k from car parks, 875k in nursery fees
- CSCB spent 4.5m on running costs, including 2m for 84 staff (really?? to manage the four co-op contracts and a children's centre?)
- CSCB spent 1.5m on repayment of loans and interest
in other words CSCB ran a profit of 2.5m after paying down debt, so must be building up a large reserve
- CSCB have tangible assets (less laibilites) of 44m, an increase in the year of 16m, presumably through re-evaluation
- CSCB took on or renewed a debt facility of 12.5m
- CSCB paid Directors who sit on the board 143k in total (10k a pop, roughly)

But they could just reported in layman's language on these matters, rather than leave it to us to find and download from Companies House and then decipher, and undoubtedly get some wrong
Saturday 21 October 2017 2.12am
Pops wrote:
qwerty wrote:
And another thing! MMTP would be in completely the wrong location i.e. slap bang in the heart of a residential area. The noise, pedicabs, coaches, litter, last minute pee stops on your porches and 500-1000 revellers every night is enough to make you shout S.O.S.!

You live in central London, you have expect noise of some sort? I live on OKR, constant sirens and drunks shouting. You get use to it after a while.

No, we don't currently have noise, pedicabs, coaches, litter, last minute pee stops on porches and 500-1000 revellers every night. People often don't have a choice of where to live and this area is a case in point. There are mainly homes for social housing and cooperative housing here so it's iniquitous that MMTP want to impose a west end party/show upon us, knowing that it would disturb residents. Being in central London doesn't give unscrupulous developers the right to exploit land that has always been meant for the community, neither does it mean that we are to expect unnecessary and insensitive disruption as some sort of trade off for living where we have done for years. Everyone has a right to enjoy their homes without undue force and pressure from the 'authorities' or from those tasked with creating social housing, who have taken a wrong turn. Some people can put up with being apathetic about things but I'd like to think we can stand up for our rights and make a difference.
Friday 10 November 2017 10.42am
Looks like it's going ahead.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/9446

I am struggling to see how it will impact on the local residents too much. Surely the revellers will be shuffling along Stamford street towards Waterloo at the end of the night.
I take the political points regarding what the land was supposed to be for, but I bet the residents around St Mungo's would swap.

Honestly, if you are fortunate enough to live there, right by the studios and Festival Hall etc, you have to embrace this. I don't see that the kind of people that will attend will be the trouble making type, somehow.
Friday 10 November 2017 5.20pm
Never liked the song, never liked the movie, couldn't comment on the musical, but I am glad it's not happening anywhere near me. I used to work at the Palace Theatre and I could absolutely not stand the obsessive Les Mis fans, who thought I was God because I got to listen to the bloody songs 6 times a week. I knew them all by heart. Against my will.
Friday 10 November 2017 5.45pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Never liked the song, never liked the movie, couldn't comment on the musical, but I am glad it's not happening anywhere near me. I used to work at the Palace Theatre and I could absolutely not stand the obsessive Les Mis fans, who thought I was God because I got to listen to the bloody songs 6 times a week. I knew them all by heart. Against my will.

What if it was a production of The Great Rock and Roll Swindle?

Hang on, a group of blokes who couldn't play musical instruments when they were younger get back together in their middle age, Still Swindling.

I tell you what.....
Friday 10 November 2017 7.01pm
boroughonian wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

Hang on, a group of blokes who couldn't play musical instruments when they were younger get back together in their middle age, Still Swindling.

I tell you what.....

Steve Jones and Glen Matlock actually are/were relatively accomplished musicians. But nah, wouldn't go to "a production of The Great Rock and Roll Swindle". I saw PiL at the indigo about 3 years ago - now, that was worth the butter ad money.
Saturday 11 November 2017 1.29am
returning to the thread, I live close to the venue but will not be directly affected by it. But I do have great sympathy for residents of Cornwall Road and Stamford Street nearby. You cannot have 500 tanked up punters exiting without noise and disruption. It also exposes the total lack of accountability of so called Coin Street Community Builders who pay no attention to the local community and seem to be a Soviet style oligarchy who re-appoint themselves as they see fit. They nearly did a deal on the Garden Bridge.

Let's see how this pans out. I hope Lambeth are rigorous on day to day management and enforcement.
Saturday 11 November 2017 9.41am
theedy wrote:
returning to the thread...You cannot have 500 tanked up punters exiting without noise and disruption. It also exposes

The idea of a production of The Great R'n'R Swindle is not that far off topic. Abba and the Pistols are from the same era, and nostalgia runs deep among some old "punks" as well. I think it could actually be a money spinner. Malcolm McLaren would probably have set it up if he were still around, what with parts of SE1 seemingly increasingly being turned into a playground for workers and other non-residents. As with regards to 500 tanked up punters: absolutely, they will be a nuisance.
Saturday 11 November 2017 10.16am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

I tell you what.....

Steve Jones and Glen Matlock actually are/were relatively accomplished musicians. But nah, wouldn't go to "a production of The Great Rock and Roll Swindle". I saw PiL at the indigo about 3 years ago - now, that was worth the butter ad money.

I know, I was just pulling your nose chain.

I did walk past there yesterday and there are some homes that would be very close to the action, it would be a pain for them. They need to keep parking away from Cornwall rd and I think they would be OK.
It wouldn't hurt, at the end of the production, to remind the audience to respect the locals.

I think I might be changing my mind on this, if there are going to be coaches pulling up and waiting somewhere, it needs to be nowhere near Cornwall Rd North side. Coaches are surprisingly noisy when, for some reason, they keep the engine running for half the night.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: