Familiar topic,new way of doing things

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 29 May 2017 8.10pm
I was sent this article and thought it worth posting the link.
We have had many discussions on housing, and I was watching George Turner talking about how he will stand up for genuinely affordable housing in Vauxhall if elected. Good for him.
Here in SE1 we seem to have gone down a dead end, and we need a complete rethink about what to do to change things so that people have decent affordable homes to live in. This article got me thinking.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/05/17/Imagine-Vancouver-Quality-Housing/
Tuesday 30 May 2017 1.54pm
Curious - what did it get you thinking about? Austria and the UK have similar social housing approaches, although it appears that Vienna has significantly lower state/council housing stock ownership than we do in Southwark (25% in Vienna vs. 50% in Southwark) and a fraction of the housing benefit (if you scale up the annual spend on public housing in Vienna to a city of London's size, Vienna would spend about 1.7bn pa whereas London spends over 6bn, so we spend 3.5-4x more money on housing subsidies).

If you mean the Alterlaa project, that appears to involve building a very large public-housing-only estate on the periphery of the city where there's available land that is cheap (maybe a zone 4 brownfield site type of location), so not sure how that's applicable to SE1.

If you just mean general housing affordability, it's a bit of an apples-and-oranges comparison - it's kind of like comparing Manchester to London and noting that housing prices are cheaper in Manchester.
Tuesday 30 May 2017 8.15pm
Thank you sjac for the facts and figures.
My thoughts were about building homes for people and creating communities with amenities. What I see going up around me are investor towers and developments that only wealthy people can afford, hotel after hotel, and the destruction of anything with any character.
Wednesday 31 May 2017 1.21pm
Ah, I see. I thought it might have had something in particular to do with Vienna, given the article.

I'm with you on building homes for people and creating communities with amenities. That said, dreaming is easy, it's the practicalities that get in the way.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: