Bacons shoe shop

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 7 June 2017 11.18am
Does anybody remember Bacons shoe shop next to the post office and a ironmongers. I believe Starbucks are now there in its place. My father run the shoe shop in the 1950s and 1960s and we had a good time while living on the Boro. I believe it was no 237 Boro High St. Barbara now living in Devon
Wednesday 7 June 2017 5.53pm
Hendy I remember your Dads shoe shop. Can't place your dads face, but remember the big black cat they had! Don't know if it was stray but went in there frequently as having three children..coming out of Charles Dickens school frequently went in there to replace plimsolls because theirs had been lost.

My aunt took my cousin in the shop and the cat was perched on the ladder they had inside, cat jumped on Stevens head,he screamed because the cat was wobbling and dug his claws in..lol

Eileen in the Windmill cafe the treacle pudding was to die for wasn't it! Went into Starbucks last year and lamented the passing of friendly family run shops..and the coffee in Starbucks was served in cold cups by up their own arse staff!
Wednesday 7 June 2017 5.56pm
Eileen just followed your link and unexpectedly got a lump in my throat.
Thursday 8 June 2017 1.43pm
Remember it well, got a lovely pair of wet look trainers out of there, them black plimsoles didn't last a day as I was a keen footballer so I wound up with bright red trainers. I was the envy of my class. I used to love getting my feet measured on that wooden thing, seeing the progress from before, I can see my grey socked foot in it now!

Wasn't it next to Coles?
Friday 9 June 2017 1.34pm
Thanks Eileen, great photo. The barbers! reminded me of the Kiosk on the other side of the road, where the barbers was originally I think.

Tragic yet beautiful story, brought a tear when I remembered it last night!
Friday 9 June 2017 6.42pm
Just looked again Eileen , the shop that's boarded up is where I bought or rather paid off for , a portable tape recorder, with three inch reels and separate microphone .took it to works to show off..put the fear of God into snooty secretary who was talking about Lady Chatterlys lover, not realising I had it on! Lol I was a good girl and did delete it though!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: