The Fire

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 15 June 2017 7.00am
Watching the scenes of the fire yesterday morning which is horrifying for all involved, I was struck by a recurrent theme from many people that was repeated complaints by tenants and tenants organisation during 'refurbishments' to Contractors. One man was threatened on his own doorstep by foreman of contractors. All complaints to people who should have been responsible were totally ignored.

This rang a bell with me, immediately though of Tak and Draper House at the Elephant. Tak and tenants had to battle for the two years the saga went on.

Read last night the Cladding was only applied to improve the appearance midst upmarket area! The cheaper version of course.
Received email from Southwark yesterday assuring tenants after Lakanal fire all high rise were checked. And oddly enough I believe them.

Grenfell house will be demolished and the surroundings eventually, then nice new million pounds properties will be built, and of course they will rehouse all the poor souls who lost their homes.
Thursday 15 June 2017 8.00am
Very distressing to see the pictures and hear people's accounts. Without wanting to pre-judge the cause, if the cladding does turn out to be a major contributor I think local authorities around London and other cities could have to spend millions very quickly.

I know there's a few blocks around Kennington Road that were re-clad recently and probably plenty in SE1. I'd certainly be asking the council questions if I lived in one of them.
Thursday 15 June 2017 8.22am
I hope that fire safety is improved and "lessons learned" as a result of this horrible fire. Cynical me thinks that this is going to give a good excuse for a bit of social cleansing on account of safety fears of older high rise buildings.
This will not apply to the many even higher rise glassy investor towers that will be built on the land acquired as I guess they will have sprinkler systems to protect the property investments.

Why are residents' complaints continually ignored until the inevitable happens and lessons definitely not learned?
Thursday 15 June 2017 8.43am
Posting something I saw in the Guardian by Anna Minton.
Well worth a read.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/14/high-rise-grenfell-tower-safe-building-west-london-fire
Thursday 15 June 2017 1.30pm
Why dosent England have sprinklers routinely fitted as Wales and Scotland?
Plus is the cladding installed to replace asbestos a contributory factor in this regard?
Thursday 15 June 2017 3.33pm
My guess is that sprinklers cost money to install and to maintain.
The cladding seems to have been put there to improve the appearance of the building, and perhaps to insulate but who in their right mind clads a building in flammable material with gaps behind that draw the air upwards at speed as was demonstrated on the news last night by a fire safety expert.
Are any of our blocks in Southwark covered in this death trap cladding?
Thursday 15 June 2017 3.41pm
Thursday 15 June 2017 5.38pm
Re the cladding: made me wonder about Guys tower.
Friday 16 June 2017 5.44am
Unbelievably sad and distressing - coming so quickly on heels of terrorism too.

As an immediate measure all tenants should be given smoke hoods (Ihave seen these for sale but do not know how effective they are - how long they provide protection if trying to get down 20+ stories) and fire alarms installed/checked evacuation drills carried out
Friday 16 June 2017 8.56am
Paramount wrote:
Why dosent England have sprinklers routinely fitted as Wales and Scotland?

Because Tory MP's don't think it's important enough for people to have safe and decent housing to make it law to be so - eg http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tories-vote-down-law-requiring-landlords-make-their-homes-fit-for-human-habitation-a6809691.html. Non-Tory devolved governments introduced the sprinkler rules in Scotland and Wales.

Remember that when ministers and lobbyists talk about reducing red tape, particularly in the context of being able to do so post-Brexit, the rules and standards that protect our health and safety, at work and at home, are what they mean.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: