Coffee shops in Elephant/Blackfriars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 20 June 2017 12.20pm
Just noticed a new "hipster" coffee shop in St George's Circus called 80 Stone Cafe.
Haven't tried yet, but looks good from outside.

It's interesting though that they've opened a coffee shop in this location, just opposite another one (Barista & Baker) and very close to Costa Coffee on Blackfriars Road.

And at the same time nobody is thinking of opening one in Elephant & Castle. Well actually Daily Goods Coffee was about to open under One The Elephant, but that never happened: anybody knows why?
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/918/daily-goods
Tuesday 20 June 2017 12.52pm
Maybe they'll open at weekends, unlike the other two you named, who don't seem to be interested in selling coffee to local residents.
Tuesday 20 June 2017 1.13pm
I was pleasantly surprised to see a load of people outside this new café on Sunday evening. Thought for a moment it might be a pub but either way it's more interesting than the Subway that was there.

If you're looking for something nearer E&C roundabout, I came across a coffee shop just the other side of the Strata. Google tells me it's called Sidecar Coffee bar GoogleMaps link. Still a bit out of the way perhaps.

I'm a bit sceptical about all this 'artisan' coffee for £3 a cup but nice to see independent shops.
Tuesday 20 June 2017 2.56pm
Thanks Pete, I'll check that one out.
I agree, the markup on these drinks is ridiculous, but I would be happy to pay it for a place in Elephant with comfy seats (the only thing that Starbucks gets right in my opinion) where to meet friends or read the newspaper.
Tuesday 20 June 2017 3.30pm
Speaking of coffee, I came across a new one tucked on the corner of Disney Place, off Marshalsea Road, 'The Blend'. It's a tiny affair, below what used to be an egg powder factory and appears to be a one woman operation. I hope it does well, though I wonder if there is enough trade in that neck of the woods.
Wednesday 21 June 2017 9.33am
I went to explore the new Sidecar Coffee last night: looks great and it has a comfy sofa and chairs right at the entrance!
The whole street (Spare) has been renovated with benches and plants... or maybe it's been always like that, to be honest I've never even noticed it. I really hope they do well because it's really tucked away, like The Blend.

Considering the locations of these new indipendent coffee shops I guess that Daily Goods didn't open because One The Elephant was too expensive as a location: it really is a gold mine, nearby Pret is open until 9pm and always packed.
Wednesday 21 June 2017 11.41am
MarcoC wrote:
I went to explore the new Sidecar Coffee last night: looks great and it has a comfy sofa and chairs right at the entrance!
The whole street (Spare) has been renovated with benches and plants... or maybe it's been always like that, to be honest I've never even noticed it. I really hope they do well because it's really tucked away, like The Blend.

+1 for Sidecar Coffee: their espresso it actually pretty good.
Wednesday 21 June 2017 2.01pm
http://www.cupcakesandshhht.com/cafe.html is at Elephant and Castle and very good - and worth giving your money too for the name alone!

A couple of streets away, during the week and only from 10-4 is the Jamyang cafe - https://www.jamyang.co.uk/index.php/services/cafe-at-jamyang it also has nice outdoor space.
Thursday 22 June 2017 8.36am
Cupcakes and Shhht is the best coffee shop in Elephant and Castle. My absolute favourite! Super busy on weekends. Has a lovely homey feel, great staff. You can watch them baking, they have a vegan burger, everything is gluten free! You can sit all day, they have internet too. Love it!
Thursday 22 June 2017 10.37am
I bought 3 huge brownies for £2 in a market at Newhaven last Saturday, I could not believe how cheap stuff was compared to London. They takes us for a ride here... £7 for a banana pancake Cupcakes and Shhht, come on...
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: