Threat to Bermondsey Street Conservation Zone

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 21 June 2017 4.03pm
A public exhibition was held yesterday to unveil the plans for 'redeveloping' the historic warehouse building at 47-49 Tanner Street. The building is one of the last remaining original tanneries in the area, and has hosted a variety of exhibitions and film crews over recent years. The exhibition was a shock to myself as a local resident viewing the ambitious artist generated images of a gigantic glass structure, encasing the old building, to the side and 4 floors above. The original warehouse will be dwarfed by an office block for 500 people. This is currently a residential street, with the odd ground-floor commercial space, and part of the Bermondsey Street Conservation zone, which is surely in place to protect the integrity of such beautiful buildings. I am saddened to think that these plans will even be considered for the space, and hope that other locals voice their opinions on the matter, so that big business does not luck out and open the door for further over-developments.
Wednesday 21 June 2017 5.26pm
I'd much sooner see this as offices than more luxury flats. It seems like a pragmatic solution.
Thursday 22 June 2017 9.15am
The issue is not the commercial purpose of the proposed building - its commercial space at the moment - but the development design itself. Take a look at the proposals and you will see that the office block looks like it belongs in Canary Wharf.
Thursday 22 June 2017 12.18pm
I went on Tuesday. I think it will be something different for the area whilst retaining the existing building.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: