New cinema at Borough Market (Vinopolis)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 25 June 2017 10.18pm
Looks like there is a new cinema opening in the old Vinopolis space at Borough Market - saw this application when out for a walk earlier today.

According to their website, Everyman are a chain of 'boutique cinemas'
Sunday 25 June 2017 10.49pm
I know it looks like a good idea at first but that company are very nasty and treat their staff like crap. Bit of a stain on the area.
Monday 26 June 2017 10.44am
beetroot wrote:
I know it looks like a good idea at first but that company are very nasty and treat their staff like crap. Bit of a stain on the area.

For a bit of more informative background, the following is from an article about the expansion of the Everyman chain, published last year:

'The appeal of the boutique chains has been tarnished by rows over the use of zero-hours contracts and low pay. All the boutique chains have been criticised and Everyman continues to use zero-hours contracts, which do not promise regular hours to staff. Poor pay and conditions grates when punters are paying as much as £18.50 a pop to watch a film.

Lilly says dropping the flexibility of zero-hours agreements “could seriously compromise the efficiency of the business because of the way admissions come and go”. But the group has been experimenting with guaranteed monthly hours at its Birmingham branch and now plans to roll out the scheme to one or two other cinemas in the near future. “We think we could find a middle ground that will work well,” he says.'

In full: here
Monday 26 June 2017 1.03pm
I've been to a couple of Everyman cinemas, I like the idea. Shame about the 0 hour contracts, I wasn't aware of that.
Monday 26 June 2017 1.33pm
Thanks janefs. I'll stay open to the possibilty that they may be able to make something work that's fair. I'll keep watching...
Tuesday 4 July 2017 8.55am
Wow. Shocked by this. Have been to the Canary Wharf cinema a few times & the staff are lovely. Disappointing to read about the company's culture. Hope it changes for the better. Does take a shine out of the experience.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: