Tall buildings

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.

Related news & features

Monday 10 July 2017 11.40pm
Not sure what the point of this post is, but the articles seem reasonable. Makes sense to have tall towers clustered around transport hubs and close to major employment areas, with medium density developments further out (although I'd like to see more towers closer together so that we get some proper density in those areas, rather than spread out towers that don't actually increase the number of flats in the area). Don't understand the reference to Grenfell though - it's not like modern tower blocks are being built to safety codes from the 60s and 70s.
Tuesday 11 July 2017 1.29am
The problem with tall buildings is that they overshadow much shorter buildings and take the light from shorter buildings, causing immediately close residents to keep their lights on for most of the day because the sun can't get through and light the gaps between them. They are not energy efficient for that reason. The top floors of the Shard can't be sold as they cost 200m+ and who can afford that these days, except for those whose ego matches the heights!

No matter how high they're built they'll NEVER reach the sky, and, many proposals should remember the towering infernos we've recently had, Grenfell, Lakanal, Peronnett House at E&C, Ronan Point in Newham, don't forget these people, many who've lost most of the members of their families, and other fires. Grenfell was also the subject of 'doing it on the cheap', it seems as though developers persuaded the Council to reduce the bill for cladding by 300,000. What's a life worth now? One for TfL on Blackfriars Road blocked the signals for its neighbours, that had to be sorted out, but was it to their satisfaction?

Let's come back to Earth and think it all out again - buildings for people who would want to live in them - not just any old rabbit hutches, or little boxes made of ticky tacky, all looking just the same. Let's get away from 'slotting them in and forgetting them'! People want permanent homes!
Zoe
Thursday 13 July 2017 6.58am
I would be more supportive of high rises if they weren't all just for rich investors. There is nothing inherently wrong with them, and with a bit of careful design they don't even have to be ugly, unlike 1 Blackfriars, but there is no benefit to anyone living locally, only detriment to a massive tower and I don't really see why I should lose my light so a rich person can get richer!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: