Another stressful disruptive weekend

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 10 of 12
Wednesday 9 August 2017 9.45am
boroughonian wrote:
kevinruairi wrote:
I live near the centre of a large European city of eight million people, and I want it to be quiet all the time.
I also want unimpeded roads for traffic to travel freely, and no cyclists or runners allowed anywhere.

Some people have always lived in such a place and don't remember (almost) weekly disruption. Lots of people can't earn money because of it too.

Saying that, I agree with EW on this one, it is a one off and we should enjoy it. Weather permitting, Mrs b and I will be going to watch the mincers tomorrow.

I'd guess lots of people earn more money from these sorts of things taking place as well. Security, stewarding, catering and the various other economies funded by the tourism these things attract.
Wednesday 9 August 2017 10.03am
Guy's street wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
kevinruairi wrote:
I live near the centre of a large European city of eight million people, and I want it to be quiet all the time.
I also want unimpeded roads for traffic to travel freely, and no cyclists or runners allowed anywhere.

Some people have always lived in such a place and don't remember (almost) weekly disruption. Lots of people can't earn money because of it too.

Saying that, I agree with EW on this one, it is a one off and we should enjoy it. Weather permitting, Mrs b and I will be going to watch the mincers tomorrow.

I'd guess lots of people earn more money from these sorts of things taking place as well. Security, stewarding, catering and the various other economies funded by the tourism these things attract.

Don't think so, there wasn't many people watching the marathons at all and the stewarding would be volunteers wouldn't they? I guess someone somewhere will be earning though for a one off hit, I was more thinking of the every day service providers.
Wednesday 9 August 2017 11.11am
boroughonian wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
kevinruairi wrote:
I live near the centre of a large European city of eight million people, and I want it to be quiet all the time.
I also want unimpeded roads for traffic to travel freely, and no cyclists or runners allowed anywhere.

Some people have always lived in such a place and don't remember (almost) weekly disruption. Lots of people can't earn money because of it too.

Saying that, I agree with EW on this one, it is a one off and we should enjoy it. Weather permitting, Mrs b and I will be going to watch the mincers tomorrow.

I'd guess lots of people earn more money from these sorts of things taking place as well. Security, stewarding, catering and the various other economies funded by the tourism these things attract.

Don't think so, there wasn't many people watching the marathons at all and the stewarding would be volunteers wouldn't they? I guess someone somewhere will be earning though for a one off hit, I was more thinking of the every day service providers.

Not sure to be honest on the volunteers- maybe. Although at some level there must be professional, qualified people doing those things. At the very least, the athletes and their families, coaches etc will be staying somewhere providing hospitality jobs.
Wednesday 9 August 2017 11.19am
boroughonian wrote:

Saying that, I agree with EW on this one, it is a one off and we should enjoy it. Weather permitting, Mrs b and I will be going to watch the mincers tomorrow.

No, no, I mustn't say it, I should be ashamed for even thinking it, and aside from being destined to spend eternity in fire and brimstone, I'd be banned forever by James, so I won't.
Wednesday 9 August 2017 11.31am
People travel from all over the world to take part in the London marathon, it's a high prestige event and no doubt generates huge sums of money both in the immediate sense and in the follow on of promoting the capital and its inclusive values, regardless of what the little Englanders would prefer. Those that travel from around the country to watch it; families, friends, trainers, etc, stay in hotels or Airbnb it and go on to eat in restaurants, visit the theatre, shop, go to the cinema and everything else that people do when they're on holiday. We'd suffer in my view if we lost that tapestry of colour and smiles it brings.
Wednesday 9 August 2017 3.27pm
Tolstoy wrote:
Airships! For covering these events. I was going to suggest drones as an alternative but then realised they wouldn't be able to stay in the air for hours at a time and frankly the noise from them is just as irritating.

That's surely an excellent idea. They use one at the Oval, for Ashes test matches at least. It's tethered, and I presume with remote-controlled cameras. That must be cheaper than paying a helicopter pilot.
Wednesday 9 August 2017 5.31pm
Debrajoan wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

Saying that, I agree with EW on this one, it is a one off and we should enjoy it. Weather permitting, Mrs b and I will be going to watch the mincers tomorrow.

No, no, I mustn't say it, I should be ashamed for even thinking it, and aside from being destined to spend eternity in fire and brimstone, I'd be banned forever by James, so I won't.

I'm second guessing your thoughts Debrajoan, and I'm sure you'll put me straight if I'm mistaken, but....imo, yet another nasty slight posted by boroughonian.
Wednesday 9 August 2017 6.15pm
Guy's street wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
kevinruairi wrote:
I live near the centre of a large European city of eight million people, and I want it to be quiet all the time.
I also want unimpeded roads for traffic to travel freely, and no cyclists or runners allowed anywhere.

Some people have always lived in such a place and don't remember (almost) weekly disruption. Lots of people can't earn money because of it too.

Saying that, I agree with EW on this one, it is a one off and we should enjoy it. Weather permitting, Mrs b and I will be going to watch the mincers tomorrow.

I'd guess lots of people earn more money from these sorts of things taking place as well. Security, stewarding, catering and the various other economies funded by the tourism these things attract.

Don't think so, there wasn't many people watching the marathons at all and the stewarding would be volunteers wouldn't they? I guess someone somewhere will be earning though for a one off hit, I was more thinking of the every day service providers.

Not sure to be honest on the volunteers- maybe. Although at some level there must be professional, qualified people doing those things. At the very least, the athletes and their families, coaches etc will be staying somewhere providing hospitality jobs.

There are also the overtime payments for members of the emergency services that are deployed along the route.
Thursday 10 August 2017 8.07am
janefs wrote:
Debrajoan wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

Saying that, I agree with EW on this one, it is a one off and we should enjoy it. Weather permitting, Mrs b and I will be going to watch the mincers tomorrow.

No, no, I mustn't say it, I should be ashamed for even thinking it, and aside from being destined to spend eternity in fire and brimstone, I'd be banned forever by James, so I won't.

I'm second guessing your thoughts Debrajoan, and I'm sure you'll put me straight if I'm mistaken, but....imo, yet another nasty slight posted by boroughonian.

What was nasty about it? I should've put Sunday rather than tomorrow. I was referring to the 50k walk, what did you think (want) I meant?

It may not have been a great joke, and my bad for always finding it childishly funny how they walk and I never invented the word "mincing", but nasty? Really?

Further, the gay men in my life would've laughed at that themselves.
Thursday 10 August 2017 8.20am
Let's send all these events up to Ruth Davidson in Scotland as she appears to need a bit of excitement in general
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 10 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: