Another stressful disruptive weekend

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 11 of 12
Thursday 10 August 2017 9.44am
janefs wrote:
Debrajoan wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

Saying that, I agree with EW on this one, it is a one off and we should enjoy it. Weather permitting, Mrs b and I will be going to watch the mincers tomorrow.

No, no, I mustn't say it, I should be ashamed for even thinking it, and aside from being destined to spend eternity in fire and brimstone, I'd be banned forever by James, so I won't.

I'm second guessing your thoughts Debrajoan, and I'm sure you'll put me straight if I'm mistaken, but....imo, yet another nasty slight posted by boroughonian.

I think that it's a case of, 'least said, soonest mended' here janefs.
I know what I first thought on reading boroughonian's original post, but I'm a dinosaur who came up during the sixties and seventies.
That's no excuse I know, but that's how it is, and I'd hazard a guess that that was what DJ was thinking too, as she quite logically opined that she'd be condemned to the fires of hell just for thinking it.
So I don't blame you IF, and it's a big IF, you were thinking along the same lines.
However, boroughonian's post this a.m. has put it all in perspective, and we can revert to seeing him as the stand up guy that he always was, and no doubt always will be.
I however, will stand in the corner, nervously gnawing my bottom lip, and praying that the Thought Police don't come and kick the door in.
I'm still concerned about Debrajoan's "outing" of me as a sleeping agent of the D.G.S.E., after my oversight of lapsing into French recently, I've had some stern emails from Boulevard Mortier about that.
Thursday 10 August 2017 10.12am
Thanks Tom, but I'm afraid this seems like a bit of a spill over from another thread, very disappointing.
Zoe
Thursday 10 August 2017 9.15pm
Hmmm, it seems whenever we complain about noise we are told to shut up and suck it up as we live in London. Apparently, we are never allowed a moment without a helicopter over us, even on a Sunday morning, lest we forget as place as people who deserve nothing better than noise.

My comment was of course tongue in cheek, clearly the helicopter was here for an event, my point being that everyone was moaning about the cycling event but no one cared when it was running, those two activities being so different. The helicopter was here for hours, it lasted all day and it was Sunday, that's not reasonable.

It's not right, however, that we should suffer constant noise. Our block suffers noise 24 hours a day. Sometimes I am up at 3am with a poorly dog and can't believe the level of noise even at that time. To suggest we should just pit up with noise is deeply insulting. Are we worth less than the rich people who successfully campaigned to stop concerts held in Hyde Park?
Friday 11 August 2017 8.19am
Zoe wrote:
Are we worth less than the rich people
I know I am!
Monday 14 August 2017 3.52pm
Zoe wrote:
It's odd that people presume they have the right to drive in central London

A thousand apologies ZoŽ, but I copied and pasted this from another Forum, where a war of words had been raging with drivers v cyclists.
These statements aren't mine, but numbers 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 seem vaguely familiar to me.

So 59 pages and the conclusion seems to be:

1. It is always the car drivers fault.

2. Cyclists are allowed to inflict road rage on drivers with no consequence, including smashing off wing mirrors and smashing windows, if a driver reacts, he should be jailed for life without parole.

3. The highway code "is not the law" when it comes to cyclists but whenever a car driver is in fault suddenly the highway code "is the law and you're a moron if you break it".

4. Cycling in the middle of the road is acceptable.

5. You shouldn't overtake a cyclist at all because it might hurt his feelings.

6. Cyclists can jump all red lights and if they hit anything it is the corresponding driver/pedestrians fault.

7. On weekends, drivers should just stay in and show consideration towards cyclists by not using the roads they pay VED for, to allow for groups of cyclists to enjoy the roads they pay nothing for.

Right. Gotcha.
Monday 14 August 2017 4.18pm
You are a caution Tom . You've hit the nail on the head here, as usual ! I don't know what motor bikes are classed as, besides being dangerous underneath the wrong posterior. One was doing wheelies along the side roads off the Cut, speeding past in the blink of an eye.The couple walking next to me and I all gasped with horror, waiting to hear a screech and a bang. There weren't any subsequent ambulance sirens so assumed that he had reached his destination without killing anyone. Doing this to himself wouldn't have been so bad.
Monday 14 August 2017 5.07pm
There are many different tribes who ride bikes, I think the militant online defenders of two wheels tend not to be the same people who routinely ignore all rules of the road. But I may be wrong. Of the lycra-clad riders on my commute, the majority wait at red lights anyway.

Apart from bicycles and just for balance, I drove through central London this weekend and traffic was moving fine. Almost a pleasure in fact.

(I did see an idiot pulling wheelies on a motorbike too though).
Zoe
Monday 14 August 2017 9.24pm
No, I stick by my point. We have terrible pollution and congestion in London and it's genuinely odd that people think they should be allowed to drive here. Other countries are limiting driving in city centres and cities in the North have extensive pedestrianisation. We seem to do neither in London.

It's got nothing to do with tired stereotypical views about cyclists, pollution is a public health crisis in the making and something needs to be done.
Monday 14 August 2017 10.22pm
kevinruairi wrote:
I look forward to reading a similar amount of runner-hating posts this week after the disruption to London traffic yesterday as part of the Athletics Championships.
Having world class athletes compete here is simply unacceptable when some people want to drive right through the centre of London on a Sunday afternoon to do some shopping, and so on.
. Well I love rugby Union but would never dream of supporting it if it caused aggravation to the extent some suffer every weekend increasingly it would appear with these crazy events......people just want go about their normal every day routine thanks very much ..but no thanks
Monday 14 August 2017 10.45pm
Paramount wrote:
kevinruairi wrote:
I look forward to reading a similar amount of runner-hating posts this week after the disruption to London traffic yesterday as part of the Athletics Championships.
Having world class athletes compete here is simply unacceptable when some people want to drive right through the centre of London on a Sunday afternoon to do some shopping, and so on.
. Well I love rugby Union but would never dream of supporting it if it caused aggravation to the extent some suffer every weekend increasingly it would appear with these crazy events......people just want go about their normal every day routine thanks very much ..but no thanks

Going by the practically non-existent number of complaints by people who felt they couldn't go about their normal everyday routine because if this fantastic event, methinks you exaggerate a tad.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 11 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: