Another stressful disruptive weekend

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 12
Monday 31 July 2017 7.35am
PeteStaples wrote:
For all the ample notification, I still had no idea what was going on to cause the bonkers traffic. The marathon is an order of magnitude larger in publicity, so I think more people know not to bother driving anywhere near zone 1. I'm still not sure what the event was, to be honest.

The notification I got from TfL said:

TfL wrote:
This weekend, Saturday 29 and Sunday 30 July, there will be significant impact to travel as a result of the weekend of Prudential RideLondon cycling events. Certain roads and river crossings in east, central and southwest London and Surrey will be closed to traffic.

You can sign up at https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/social-media-and-email-updates/email-updates - and if you put your Oyster card number in, it's personalized.

There were also plenty of Tweets:

https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=RideLondon%20from%3ATflTrafficNews&src=typd
https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=RideLondon%20from%3ATflBusAlerts&src=typd
Monday 31 July 2017 8.36am
antonyb wrote:
Irony is difficult perhaps to convey

Especially when it's not one's intention to convey irony but one uses that afterwards to hide behind when called out on making the tasteless comment you made. Same goes for your "ad hominem" accusation. If you can't handle being confronted over stuff you post, don't post it.
Monday 31 July 2017 10.16am
So we are against encouraging exercise, fund-raising and generally promoting people having the opportunity to enjoy London's streets traffic free because it inconveniences some for a day or two?

It's a very pleasant walk from SE1 up to the West End, especially with no cars and buses.
Monday 31 July 2017 2.32pm
I had doubts yesterday too. My mother-in-law in Battersea could not cross the river to get to her church by public transport. I went to lunch with her. 90 minutes from Waterloo via train and bus. The road form Battersea Park to Vauxhall was static, so whilst wanting to encourage healthy pursuits like cycling, is it necessary to create so much pollution elsewhere? A difficult judgement but worth a thought.
Monday 31 July 2017 4.25pm
theedy wrote:
I had doubts yesterday too. My mother-in-law in Battersea could not cross the river to get to her church by public transport. I went to lunch with her. 90 minutes from Waterloo via train and bus. The road form Battersea Park to Vauxhall was static, so whilst wanting to encourage healthy pursuits like cycling, is it necessary to create so much pollution elsewhere? A difficult judgement but worth a thought.

Are environmental factors your concern, or personal inconvenience?

I'm pretty sure any extra 'pollution' was negligible in the grand scheme of things.

As pointed out elsewhere, nobody complains about the London Marathon.
Tuesday 1 August 2017 4.41pm
antonyb wrote:
Shall we keep on point without the Ad Hominem?
Irony is difficult perhaps to convey, and I apologise if it has been misunderstood, and it would be a shame if utterly mistaken cold-reads about another members' imputed politics were to hi-jack the OPs' thread .

Thankyou

No need to apologise dude, it was a funny comment! Don't worry about the perennially offended
Tuesday 1 August 2017 5.17pm
That bike ride is a pain in the arse.

During last year's event it took me an hour and half from Swindon to Hammersmith, and then two and a half hours from Hammersmith to SE1. Where do I send the invoice for my wasted Sunday?
Tuesday 1 August 2017 6.33pm
NickTheGreek wrote:
That bike ride is a pain in the arse.
During last year's event it took me an hour and half from Swindon to Hammersmith, and then two and a half hours from Hammersmith to SE1. Where do I send the invoice for my wasted Sunday?

It always pays to do some research before embarking on a journey into London: so much going on here that it is best to expect the unexpected.

Had you known in advance about the Bike Ride, you would have turned south at the M25, and then entered London on the M3>A316>A205>A3205 to Vauxhal, SE1: this surely would have taken less than 4 hours.
Zoe
Tuesday 1 August 2017 9.48pm
It's odd that people presume they have the right to drive in central London
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network