Another stressful disruptive weekend

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 12
Wednesday 2 August 2017 10.50pm
As the Environment is so VIP why doesn't Green Party do better?
Wednesday 2 August 2017 11.46pm
May I suggest a read of Simon Jenkins in Tuesday's Evening Standard Page 15 or online re the hijacking and holding London to Ransom the few inconveniencing the many with lost trade appointments etc....to bring some much needed logic as desired by many.. Incidentally Mr Jenkins is a Santander cyclist. But I concur with him that n group however vociferous n vitriolic should be able to enforce their strange behaviour on ordinary is mainstream folkwho just want to live love work and do all normal pursuits in life without fear or favour

Cotswolds 12
Thursday 3 August 2017 12.10am
Paramount wrote:
May I suggest a read of Simon Jenkins in Tuesday's Evening Standard Page 15 or online re the hijacking and holding London to Ransom the few inconveniencing the many with lost trade appointments etc....to bring some much needed logic as desired by many.. Incidentally Mr Jenkins is a Santander cyclist. But I concur with him that n group however vociferous n vitriolic should be able to enforce their strange behaviour on ordinary is mainstream folkwho just want to live love work and do all normal pursuits in life without fear or favour

What I don't understand is why this year, after running apparently quite peacefully since 2013, this event should suddenly attract the vociferous n vitriolic ranting of Simon Jenkins and the Daily Mail.
Thursday 3 August 2017 1.07am
Zoe wrote:
It's odd that people presume they have the right to drive in central London

Zoe, or Zoë as I prefer, I love you like a daughter, and I sincerely hope that you can pedal your way around our Metropolis safely and unimpeded in any way, as long as you wish.
However, when the Chief Examiner at the Public Carriage Office, (as it was then), gave me my shiny green and gold badge, bearing the legend, London Cab Driver, a million years ago, the London Cab Driver's licence, signed by the Deputy Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, which I also received that day, said, "Licenced to drive a taxi, and ply for hire in London", or something to that effect.
Colour me contentious, but I got the vague feeling that by satisfying both the Carriage Office that I knew how to get around the Capital, and the Metropolitan Police that I was an upstanding citizen, THAT gave me the right to drive anywhere in Central London, in order to make a living.
Thursday 3 August 2017 7.52am
Paramount wrote:
Zoe wrote:
Explain please as I for one am confused. Motorists pay road tax etc cyclists do not? So more "right" than others excepting pedestrians naturally

I'll have a go at explaining, Paramount:
a) Some cyclists pay what I think you are calling "road tax" (do you mean VED?) - the ones who own cars, too.
b) No one has a right to drive anywhere, only a license. However, neither pedestrians nor cyclists need a license.
Thursday 3 August 2017 10.23am
Rambling Phil wrote:
Paramount wrote:
Zoe wrote:
Explain please as I for one am confused. Motorists pay road tax etc cyclists do not? So more "right" than others excepting pedestrians naturally

a) Some cyclists pay what I think you are calling "road tax" (do you mean VED?) - the ones who own cars, too.
b) No one has a right to drive anywhere, only a license. However, neither pedestrians nor cyclists need a license.

I know far better than to second guess you Phil, but I copied/pasted this from a Freedom of Information Act site.

Common Law right to travel;

"Driving" relates to using a vehicle of any class in a commercial manner. (Taxi, bus, HGV, LGV etc)

Travelling on a public highway using ones own conveyance of the day where no profit is made is an irrevocable common law right.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In addition, the Telegraph, of 10/02/16, published much the same, but in a piece about what classes of vehicles one could drive, with a full U.K. car licence.
Thursday 3 August 2017 11.07am
A lot of road/pavement users talking about their rights - maybe that sums up the problem: better to think about duty/responsibility/respect/co-existing etc., no?
Zoe
Thursday 3 August 2017 10.20pm
Ha, ha Tom, I love a man who can spell Zoë right!

Taxis are different to regular vehicles, and are an alternative to everyone trying to drive in London. Self drive cars will similar. It has to be a Balance of course, as now we have loads of taxis, Uber and private hire and they will massively out number the rest of the cars if it continues, so it does have to be controlled.

Driving in central London is a minority exercise, as most residents don't own cars. It's the car drivers inconveniencing the rest of us, but with dangerous pollution, noise and danger.
Friday 4 August 2017 12.13am
Gee thanks Zoë, I'm nothing if not literate, and with a trace of French blood in my veins, je t'aime aussi.
To me it will always be Chloë, not Chloe, Adèle not Adele, Régine not Regine, and Renée not Rene.
I digress, I rarely if ever drive now, preferring to walk while I'm still fit enough to do so.
Jubilee Line from Bermondsey to Baker Street, then a steady walk down Baker St., to Bond St., or on to Green Park, or sometimes Westminster if I'm feeling super fit, then a train back, keeps me down to 72 kg. and 84 cm waist.
Friday 4 August 2017 8.27am
Tom Pepper wrote:
Rambling Phil wrote:
Paramount wrote:
Zoe wrote:

I know far better than to second guess you Phil, but I copied/pasted this from a Freedom of Information Act site.

Common Law right to travel;

"Driving" relates to using a vehicle of any class in a commercial manner. (Taxi, bus, HGV, LGV etc)

Travelling on a public highway using ones own conveyance of the day where no profit is made is an irrevocable common law right.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In addition, the Telegraph, of 10/02/16, published much the same, but in a piece about what classes of vehicles one could drive, with a full U.K. car licence.

Cheers Tom. I'd be interested to see that stuff about the common law, but I think the Telegraph article makes the pertinent distinction in the phrase "with a full U.K. car licence".

There is no universal 'right' to drive a motor vehicle. A license is granted to an individual on passing a test (and some other circumstances) and may be revoked (eg for getting enough points on your license, or becoming physically infirm). Without that license, you're not permitted to drive anything anywhere.

This is in contrast to walking or cycling on the public highway, where no permission is needed, nor can be revoked, making these universal, indivisible rights.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network