Another stressful disruptive weekend

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 7 of 12
Monday 7 August 2017 5.57am
I look forward to reading a similar amount of runner-hating posts this week after the disruption to London traffic yesterday as part of the Athletics Championships.

Having world class athletes compete here is simply unacceptable when some people want to drive right through the centre of London on a Sunday afternoon to do some shopping, and so on.
Monday 7 August 2017 8.20am
Jules62 wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
I had to travel from Blackfriars to the Angel this eve, it took the 63 30 mins just to get across the bridge, but what a fantastic event the Marathon was, with all these running pedestrians being able to take to the streets without being bothered by any vehicles, whatever the number of their wheels. I was inspired and got off the bus and walked, arriving 20 minutes late at my appointment, but who cares, the person I was meeting didn't. Walking is the future.

You should have tubed it...

But then I wouldn't have had that nice walk. I avoid the tube when I can, except at night, otherwise I will walk anything that can be done in under 45 mins.
Monday 7 August 2017 8.23am
Walking is my preferred mode of transport whilst given health so to do in relative comfort... but one is a bit stuck if on a bus as opposed to RM variety on off boys! With cheery conductor you set world to rights.. I wouldn't touch tubes underground with a bargepole!

Cotswolds 12
Monday 7 August 2017 8.45am
theedy wrote:
But it proves nothing. It is Putney High Street which was closed to traffic. If you ban traffic, pollution goes down. Doh! We need to see what it looked liked in the roads around Battersea which was a car park.

It proves that there were 100 miles of roads with very low levels of pollution compared to usual.
Monday 7 August 2017 9.50am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Jules62 wrote:

But then I wouldn't have had that nice walk. I avoid the tube when I can, except at night, otherwise I will walk anything that can be done in under 45 mins.

There are some lovely walking routes from Blackfriars Bridge to Angel (eg using the back streets South of Ludgate Circus and then cutting up through Smithfield and Clerkenwell Green). It is relentlessly uphill, though, but one of my favourite town walks.
Monday 7 August 2017 10.11am
Rambling Phil wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Jules62 wrote:

There are some lovely walking routes from Blackfriars Bridge to Angel (eg using the back streets South of Ludgate Circus and then cutting up through Smithfield and Clerkenwell Green). It is relentlessly uphill, though, but one of my favourite town walks.

I used to work off Exmouth Market and used to walk to and from work every day. Crossed Millennium Bridge rather than Blackfriars though.
Monday 7 August 2017 6.18pm
theedy wrote:
But it proves nothing. It is Putney High Street which was closed to traffic. If you ban traffic, pollution goes down. Doh! We need to see what it looked liked in the roads around Battersea which was a car park.

I've had a look at the pollution figures for Battersea on the London Air site (https://www.londonair.org.uk/LondonAir/Default.aspx), theedy - the same source as the Putney High Street info. You'll have to run them yourself to confirm, since I don't understand what it all means, but it looks to me as if the figures for Battersea as well were DOWN on the weekend of the cycle events, compared with (for example) the previous weekend.

The figures from the Battersea monitoring station in the middle of the previous working week were horrifyingly high.

Don't know what that proves! (Except you can prove anything with statistics - so don't take my word for it.)
Monday 7 August 2017 7.12pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
A lot of road/pavement users talking about their rights - maybe that sums up the problem: better to think about duty/responsibility/respect/co-existing etc., no?
. Duty respect etc Well Absolutely but these things went out the window yonks ago and most wouldn't recognie respect if fell over it in the street!
Monday 7 August 2017 7.18pm
John C wrote:
Paramount wrote:
May I suggest a read of Simon Jenkins in Tuesday's Evening Standard Page 15 or online re the hijacking and holding London to Ransom the few inconveniencing the many with lost trade appointments etc....to bring some much needed logic as desired by many.. Incidentally Mr Jenkins is a Santander cyclist. But I concur with him that n group however vociferous n vitriolic should be able to enforce their strange behaviour on ordinary is mainstream folkwho just want to live love work and do all normal pursuits in life without fear or favour

What I don't understand is why this year, after running apparently quite peacefully since 2013, this event should suddenly attract the vociferous n vitriolic ranting of Simon Jenkins and the Daily Mail.

Well perhaps this or similar events have been a pain for a while but public opinion was trying to be Fair and just on similar issues but have now decided to speak out
Monday 7 August 2017 9.50pm
Paramount wrote:
John C wrote:
Paramount wrote:
May I suggest a read of Simon Jenkins in Tuesday's Evening Standard Page 15 or online re the hijacking and holding London to Ransom the few inconveniencing the many with lost trade appointments etc....to bring some much needed logic as desired by many.. Incidentally Mr Jenkins is a Santander cyclist. But I concur with him that n group however vociferous n vitriolic should be able to enforce their strange behaviour on ordinary is mainstream folkwho just want to live love work and do all normal pursuits in life without fear or favour

What I don't understand is why this year, after running apparently quite peacefully since 2013, this event should suddenly attract the vociferous n vitriolic ranting of Simon Jenkins and the Daily Mail.

Well perhaps this or similar events have been a pain for a while but public opinion was trying to be Fair and just on similar issues but have now decided to speak out

"Public opinion" speaking out, paramount? Prove it! 51% in a referendum will do.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 7 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network