Destruction of Southwark station.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 2 August 2017 9.05am
To be honest why are they destroying this nice station? Ah yes money , a fair size plot of ground in a well sort after area. Thirty floors of very expensive homes to be built. So is it just the concourse to be destroyed and assimilated into the new building? Or the whole station closing?

Imagine paying a fortune for one of the properties and at night hearing the rumble of trains. We could hear the Tube trains in offices at Broadgate, then at Canary Wharf . Hope the whole thing will be rejected, but then money talks they say but as the selling off of the Heygate it Screams!
Zoe
Wednesday 2 August 2017 9.08pm
The plan at the moment seems to be for 12 stories, but it has changed so much over the last 17 years that we will wait to see. I agree, the station is fine, why change it. The plan is not to close it though, it's to keep it open during the works.
Wednesday 2 August 2017 9.21pm
The concourse needs updating because it is not practical for wheelchair users and the steps are steep and unsafe in wet weather. I'm not sure what they will end up building on top of the station; it was to be a 12 story building when it was first designed and if I remember correctly, the foundations for it were done at the time of building. However, the blue print for the building seems to have gone astray and I wonder if this will affect what is built in the future. The whole situation is a mess, with poor Styles House under threat once again of losing its small block of flats and some of its grounds but I won't go on about that as there is already a thread. I wonder if anyone has considered making a new entrance on the ground floor of Palestra. The new concourse could be constructed without closing the station and I'm sure TfL have plenty of experience in tunneling under roads. Whatever is built there really needs to reflect the height of the immediate buildings ie Palestra and Nelson Square.
Zoe
Thursday 3 August 2017 10.11pm
I will make your suggestion when we meet TfL!

The disabled access isn't bad as the lift is fairly reliable, more annoying is only having a lift on one platform.
Friday 4 August 2017 5.39pm
As I understand it only the Blackfriars Road ticket hall is planned to go, with the concourse and its blue glass wall remaining and the Waterloo East ticket hall untouched.

I wouldn't call the steps at the entrance even remotely steep. If you want steep try the new entrance to Victoria station!
Friday 4 August 2017 7.34pm
I consider Southwark station a fine building, both above and below ground.

Tube stations on the whole provide a glimpse of bygone times, and are often the only surviving contemporary structures on the streets they are located which makes them fascinating to me.

Sure: some street level buildings are gone, but most survive.

It would be a shame if this one was to give way to a new development.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: