Rats in Emma Cons Gardens

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Saturday 12 August 2017 10.26pm
I live right by Emma Cons and although I understand there will be a permanent rat presence locally, I've never seen a rat there in the 12 years I've lived here. Until this week. Now the garden beds are overrun with them - there must be around 20 of them. I've never seen anything like it. You can see them running about in broad daylight, and in and out of the full rubbish bags left by the Lambeth street cleaners each day.

This is going on about 15m from the shared garden of my block of flats, where our children play.

The suggestion is that the rats have suddenly appeared due to being disturbed by the works in Waterloo Station.

Lambeth Pest Control apparently only deal with infestations in buildings, Environmental Health called me back but say they can't do anything because you can't do anything about rats in a public place. I have asked that they (the Council) urgently stop leaving rubbish bags there, but 10+ have been left there today and when I passed about an hour ago rats were swarming all over them.

I've been taking photos & videos and emailing them to Environmental Health, though I'm not expecting any further response until Monday. I'm just wondering if any other SE1-ers have had similar problems and would appreciate any advice. I'm planning on going to a local Councillor if I don't have any joy with Lambeth this week.

Thanks
Kathy
Zoe
Sunday 13 August 2017 9.52pm
We had the same issue when the tunnels under Waterloo east were cleared about ten years ago. My suggestion was going to be speak to the councillor. Also think about using the complaint process.

Environmental health wouldn't do anything for us at the time until the rats ate through the wiring in a controller box and the lights on both end of The Cut went off. It caused traffic chaos for a week. Even then, they only really accepted it was a major problem when they visited and saw it themselves, so I think the photo and videos are the right approach.

Rats are a public health issue and are covered in the environmental protection act. I have only ever dealt with the EPA for residential properties but it's likely there is something about non residential and someone on the site will probably be able to advise us.
Monday 14 August 2017 7.04am
Thanks Zoe, that's really helpful to know. Do you know exactly what was done to get rid of the rats once they did decide to take action?

Thanks
Kathy
Monday 14 August 2017 11.31am
Is there anything regular people can do, legally? I HATE rats - I once lived in an infested house, the landlord wouldn't do anything, so we literally clubbed them all to death.
Monday 14 August 2017 12.41pm
There is the solution.
Get eD WooD round in his cave man outfit with his trusty club
Monday 14 August 2017 6.13pm
JazzyQ wrote:
There is the solution.

Ha! Lambeth did say we weren't allowed to put our own poison down, but they didn't mention clubbing!
Monday 14 August 2017 6.19pm
So it looks like my video footage might have done the trick. Lambeth Environmental Health today agreed that action needs to be taken and have made referrals to Streetcare and Pest Control depts. It's nothing concrete yet, but a welcome change from the "we can't/won't do anything" response I received on Friday.....
Zoe
Monday 14 August 2017 8.20pm
Excellent news, let's hope they fix it soon. Well done for pursuing it, persistence is the only answer (as clubs seems a bit excessive).
Monday 14 August 2017 8.22pm
kathyj wrote:
JazzyQ wrote:
There is the solution.

Ha! Lambeth did say we weren't allowed to put our own poison down, but they didn't mention clubbing!
That's the thing - I appreciate that you can't put your own poison down. The measures we took in the house I lived in were desperate, the situation was untenable. One drunk night we watched a movie, I believe it was Last Exit to Brooklyn, where there is a scene where the men gather to club rats to death after one bit a child. I remember they said in the movie to sellotape your trouser-legs so the rats couldn't run up them. We had about 5 or 6 rats in the kitchen and we went mental on them. One of my housemates has a catapult and shot ball bearings at them and when he hit one and stunned it we would wack it. It was biblical. If it were legal (don't know if it is) I would shoot at rats with a catapult.
Tuesday 15 August 2017 12.08pm
Wow, eD WooD this is high testosterone stuff going for them with clubs, catapults and ball bearings with your trouser legs sellotaped up.
We are a bit boring round here with little green boxes for them to go into, presumably with poison snacks and treats for them to eat or take back to their offspring. We did have them capering around in our car park, but then their holes were concreted over and they could not come out to play round the recycling bins.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network