There Is No Road Tax.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 15 August 2017 1.53am
To avoid turning the weekend disturbance thread into yet another driver vs cyclist thread, I just wanted to pull one set of comments and note the following:

As someone who neither drives nor cycles, I can take an impartial view and let you know that both groups can be jerks (although the vast majority of both are actually pretty reasonable). That said, it should be remembered that when car hits cyclist, cyclist comes out much worse, so chill people...

But what I really wanted to note is that once again people are repeating something that I'm tired of, so please understand: THERE IS NO ROAD TAX. There is a tax on pollution, meaning that zero emissions vehicles (like electric cars and bikes) don't have to pay anything. Road maintenance and construction is paid out of general taxation, meaning that if anyone should be angry about road users it should be someone like me, who pays bucket loads of tax but is a minimal user of our roads. And yet I'm not, because I recognise that they're important for people who drive and cycle.

On top of this, in central London the non-driver/non-cyclist group is actually the majority, so in reality both drivers and cyclists are using OUR roads. So if you don't quit your squabbling, maybe we'll take back the roads that we pay for and convert them to public transport and pedestrian only. So be nice. :-)
Tuesday 15 August 2017 8.09am
Just one thing - it's a tax on emissions, not pollution. Electric cars do pollute indirectly (where do you think the electricity comes from?), although you could say the manufacture and delivery of bicycles also causes pollution :)
Tuesday 15 August 2017 9.16am
Guy's street wrote:
you could say the manufacture and delivery of bicycles also causes pollution :)

So does the manufacture of footwear: should we tax pedestrians...?
Tuesday 15 August 2017 9.31am
Semantics - it's an emission that pollutes... And of course there are CO2 emissions from all forms of transport (even us pedestrians when we breathe), it's just about reducing the inefficient, fossil fuel burning, captured carbon releasing sorts. As we move to greener renewable electricity production, electric cars will continue to reduce their carbon footprint. But you knew all that anyway. ;-)
Tuesday 15 August 2017 9.59am
sjac wrote:
But what I really wanted to note is that once again people are repeating something that I'm tired of, so please understand: THERE IS NO ROAD TAX. There is a tax on pollution, meaning that zero emissions vehicles (like electric cars and bikes) don't have to pay anything. Road maintenance and construction is paid out of general taxation

Yes, it's been stated many times on this website, but some people cannot be educated. You can give information to people, and some of it can be retained, but you can't make people intelligent. That's why morons can learn basic facts or another language. It's why on another thread we get this.

Tom Pepper wrote:
7. On weekends, drivers should just stay in and show consideration towards cyclists by not using the roads they pay VED for, to allow for groups of cyclists to enjoy the roads they pay nothing for.

It's always a giggle when they try though!
Tuesday 15 August 2017 10.19am
sjac wrote:
Semantics - it's an emission that pollutes... And of course there are CO2 emissions from all forms of transport (even us pedestrians when we breathe), it's just about reducing the inefficient, fossil fuel burning, captured carbon releasing sorts. As we move to greener renewable electricity production, electric cars will continue to reduce their carbon footprint. But you knew all that anyway. ;-)

Oh of course I agree! Just being pedantic.

My favourite comment on the 'road tax' discussions is this weird assumption that people who ride bikes don't also drive cars and vice-versa. As if once you've become a 'cyclist', you have to hand in your driving license and you get a refund on any VED you may have paid, so you're no longer contributing to the 'roads'!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: