Iconic bright yellow DUKWs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 22 August 2017 9.38am
Everything is called iconic these days, isn't it. Are those pubs on wheels iconic as well now?

"Tourists worldwide and Londoners will surely miss our iconic bright yellow DUKWs travelling around town."

Not this Londoner...
Tuesday 22 August 2017 11.00am
The fire brigade and RNLI certainly won't miss them!
Tuesday 22 August 2017 12.10pm
Took my niece and nephew, down from Yorkshire, on this last year and they thought it was the best thing ever. Shame they're going.
Tuesday 22 August 2017 12.13pm
Personally I think they're really tacky. I've got friends who work on them though so it's not good news for us. They were told ages ago that the slipway would close. The reason given was nothing to do with the sewer. It was about making MI6 less vulnerable to a terrorist attack.
Tuesday 22 August 2017 4.15pm
I'll miss them....

...they're a great way to score an extra point when you're walking across Lambeth Bridge, playing "Yellow car!"

(I also try for an extra extra point by claiming "Yellow boat!" for the boat-pub in front of the Fire Service building.)

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 22 August 2017 7.10pm
I like the DUWKs very much, a fantastic vehicle, imbued with history, and a sure way to bring a smile to the face of any child (and many adults too) lucky enough to ride on one when it enters the water.

As for the Duck Tours, they are a fun and exciting way for visitors and Londoners alike to view the capital from the river: a good alternative to the usual boat rides.

If the company can't secure a viable alternative river entry point, I hope they give the Imperial War Museum first dibs on buying a few of these, since they where used in quite a few historical military operations during WWII.
Tuesday 22 August 2017 9.11pm
Well, looks like this Londoner is out of touch with his fellow Londoners...
Tuesday 22 August 2017 11.06pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

No need to beat yourself up about it: not everyone can be expected to know the important role these vehicles played in WWII.

This is exactly why I would like the War Museum to acquire one or two from Duck Tours, and restore them to their former (definitively not yellow) glory.

Here is an example of one that is in its original condition:

Wednesday 23 August 2017 2.47pm
I think they're pretty tacky too - much prefer them in green though. As you said, there are worse examples of trashy tourism, both the pubs on wheels and the rip off cycle rickshaws seem to serve absolutely no purpose other than to clog the road and irritate those living on the routes. Imagine having a pub on wheels go past your window 8 times a day!
Wednesday 23 August 2017 2.51pm
Jules62 wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

No need to beat yourself up about it: not everyone can be expected to know the important role these vehicles played in WWII.

This is exactly why I would like the War Museum to acquire one or two from Duck Tours, and restore them to their former (definitively not yellow) glory.

Here is an example of one that is in its original condition:

Oh. it's nothing to do with WW2. NOw you mention it though I find it particularly sad that such vehicles are then painted yellow with ducks on them to ferry tourists around.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network