Bear Garden Museum

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 29 August 2017 9.55am
In the early 70's I did some odd jobs for Sam Wanamaker, on his "Globe" project. His first project was the "Bear Gardens Museum". I painted the sign, among other small tasks.
Sam was very good at getting things done on a small budget. One local builder donated 2 days work for his best man to lay the York stone slabs in front of the Museum.
I remember the office where Sam worked from. It was a fairly modern bog standard 2 storey block. I think it was on the corner of Bear Gardens but I cannot be sure. I also remember that Sam had the use of the buildings the other side of Cardinal Caps Alley. He used the lower floor for storage.
I have searched a lot of images from that time but I cannot find the 50's + office block. I have not been able to find anything linking Sam to the Museum either. As it was his first project, I thought it should be of interest.
If anyone has any information or photos, I would love to see them.
Cheers, Dave Hilditch.
Tuesday 29 August 2017 10.57am
David, I can't help, but was SW responsible for the Globe marquis? Just behind that there was a boarded off area that was full of sand, like dunes, we believed that Laurence of Arabia or Beau Gest was filmed there, unlikely.
Tuesday 29 August 2017 11.17am
Thanks Richard,
I think that the nasty office was the carpark to the
Tuesday 29 August 2017 11.18am
Thanks Richard,
I think that the nasty office was the carpark to the office.
Cheers, Dave.
Tuesday 29 August 2017 11.23am
Sorry, I don't know anything about the Marquis.
Cheers, Dave.
Tuesday 29 August 2017 2.02pm
Wednesday 13 September 2017 6.21pm
Dave
Go to the Southwark Council planning applications webpage and look up application 11/AP/4297. When you get there click on "Related Documents" and then "View associated documents". Have a look at "Document - TOWNSCAPE AND CONSERVATION ASSESSMENT", parts 1, 2, 4 and 5, but especially pages 7 and 8 of part 5. Parts 1, 2, 4 and 5 all contain photos of Bear Gardens and nearby places, but pages 7 and 8 of part 5 may show the 1950s (?) building that you remember.
Of course, I may be wrong! Only you will know, once you've looked at the pictures.
There's a good picture of the museum on the City of London's Collage website - shows it looking how I remember it.
Tom

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: