Bear Garden Museum

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 29 August 2017 8.55am
In the early 70's I did some odd jobs for Sam Wanamaker, on his "Globe" project. His first project was the "Bear Gardens Museum". I painted the sign, among other small tasks.
Sam was very good at getting things done on a small budget. One local builder donated 2 days work for his best man to lay the York stone slabs in front of the Museum.
I remember the office where Sam worked from. It was a fairly modern bog standard 2 storey block. I think it was on the corner of Bear Gardens but I cannot be sure. I also remember that Sam had the use of the buildings the other side of Cardinal Caps Alley. He used the lower floor for storage.
I have searched a lot of images from that time but I cannot find the 50's + office block. I have not been able to find anything linking Sam to the Museum either. As it was his first project, I thought it should be of interest.
If anyone has any information or photos, I would love to see them.
Cheers, Dave Hilditch.
Tuesday 29 August 2017 9.57am
David, I can't help, but was SW responsible for the Globe marquis? Just behind that there was a boarded off area that was full of sand, like dunes, we believed that Laurence of Arabia or Beau Gest was filmed there, unlikely.
Tuesday 29 August 2017 10.17am
Thanks Richard,
I think that the nasty office was the carpark to the
Tuesday 29 August 2017 10.18am
Thanks Richard,
I think that the nasty office was the carpark to the office.
Cheers, Dave.
Tuesday 29 August 2017 10.23am
Sorry, I don't know anything about the Marquis.
Cheers, Dave.
Tuesday 29 August 2017 1.02pm
Wednesday 13 September 2017 5.21pm
Go to the Southwark Council planning applications webpage and look up application 11/AP/4297. When you get there click on "Related Documents" and then "View associated documents". Have a look at "Document - TOWNSCAPE AND CONSERVATION ASSESSMENT", parts 1, 2, 4 and 5, but especially pages 7 and 8 of part 5. Parts 1, 2, 4 and 5 all contain photos of Bear Gardens and nearby places, but pages 7 and 8 of part 5 may show the 1950s (?) building that you remember.
Of course, I may be wrong! Only you will know, once you've looked at the pictures.
There's a good picture of the museum on the City of London's Collage website - shows it looking how I remember it.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network