Ice cream van blocking Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 30 August 2017 9.01am
Hands up if you're sick and tired of being stuck in slow-moving northbound traffic on Tower Bridge simply because an ice cream van is parked on the double red lines, blocking the left-hand lane and seemingly operating with impunity. It happens countless times (possibly even every day) and I'm fed up of it. It's always the same van - reg. JA15 NEL - and yet nothing is ever done. Does anyone happen to have a contact at TfL who can spring into action if alerted?
Wednesday 30 August 2017 9.29am
Bel Ludovic wrote:
Hands up if you're sick and tired of being stuck in slow-moving northbound traffic on Tower Bridge simply because an ice cream van is parked on the double red lines, blocking the left-hand lane and seemingly operating with impunity. It happens countless times (possibly even every day) and I'm fed up of it. It's always the same van - reg. JA15 NEL - and yet nothing is ever done. Does anyone happen to have a contact at TfL who can spring into action if alerted?

I have no wish to rain on your parade Bel, but I don't think anyone at Totally Failing London EVER springs into action, with the possible exception of the ALLEGED, repeat ALLEGED, receiver of Uber's brown envelopes.
Even if the person(s) operating the ice cream van were given a fine and moved on, the ice cream business is so lucrative, that he/she'd be back next day, the fines are looked on as a minor tax that is willingly paid, in order to gain access to the rich pickings.
Towing away and crushing of the vans might work, but nobody at City Hall or Palestra has the moxie to go that far.
Wednesday 30 August 2017 9.33am
Would cones help?
Wednesday 30 August 2017 10.44am
Red Route enforcement do have a complaint procedure on the TFL website - Red Route complaints

Failing that you could ask your Assembly Member to intervene.
Wednesday 30 August 2017 11.41am
I thought the police were hot on idle vans on bridges/next to monuments.

If it causes big tailbacks, you willl probably find that the additional profit of selling 100 99p flakes is leading to totally unnecessary extra pollution for people living near or using the bridge.

I am not sure why the council dont care about this stuff. I feel sorry watching tourists getting fleeced by the ball in cup switch games which pop up in the summer.
Wednesday 30 August 2017 12.26pm
I have complained to the Red Route complaints people about that very thing. Got an acknowledgement about a week ago to say that they would reply within 14 days. I suspect the more people who complain the more likely they are to listen.
Wednesday 30 August 2017 4.39pm
I've seen police send them on their way before.

Westminster Bridge had issues and it seemed to get dealt with: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5035

Chuck in issues of cycle safety, pollution, bus delays (a sensitive issue currently across London) and given the proximity to City Hall and I'd imagine an AM would get interested!
Thursday 31 August 2017 11.43am
boroughonian wrote:
Would cones help?
This deserves more recognition than it received
Friday 1 September 2017 12.13pm
the roast chestnut, sausage sellers also usually don't have the appropriate licenses, and know they can get away with it often enough that they're not bothered by a fine every once in a while.
contact the none urgent police no. say it's causing traffic congestion. I believe they can be done for 'blocking the highway' but not sure.
there are contacts for TfL - but they won't act unless lots of people complain - so get complaining...
Quote:
For other questions about streets and road issues call 0343 222 1234*
*TfL call charges apply (whatever that means, but probably 'premium rate' or 'not free' line)
Friday 1 September 2017 12.18pm
the roast chestnut, sausage sellers also usually don't have the appropriate licenses, and know they can get away with it often enough that they're not bothered by a fine every once in a while.
contact the none urgent police no. say it's causing traffic congestion. I believe they can be done for 'blocking the highway' but not sure.
there are contacts for TfL - but they won't act unless lots of people complain - so get complaining...
Quote:
For other questions about streets and road issues call 0343 222 1234*
*TfL call charges apply (whatever that means, but probably 'premium rate' or 'not free' line)

also there are rules on stopping on red routes - basically, you can't. given the number of cameras on the road, you'd think they're getting issued PCNs automatically anyway.
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/red-routes/rules-of-red-routes/red-lines-and-no-stopping
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: