Cubana to be replaced by McDonalds

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
pg
Monday 4 September 2017 9.54pm
Someone told me tonight they had heard Cubana is to be replaced by a McDonalds?
Does anyone know if this is true?
I was very shocked to have found a live planning application for the site, which include a complete redesign of where Cubana is now and would suggest that it would be closing down - which would be terrible for the street - but there is no mention of a replacement business.
Does anyone know the details of this?

https://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=ORAJ80BOLOV00

Reference 17/02805/FUL
Application Received Fri 09 Jun 2017
Application Validated Fri 09 Jun 2017
Address 47-48 Lower Marsh London SE1 7RG
Proposal Formation of 1 self-contained unit (Use Class C3) at first and second floor levels, involving the erection of a first floor extension. Replacement of a new shopfront to the existing ground floor unit and installation of new doors and windows to the ground, first and second floor levels.
Status Awaiting decision
Appeal Status Unknown
Appeal Decision Not Available
Tuesday 5 September 2017 8.30am
Why do we need another McDonalds when there is one at the station? Shame that Cubana is closing down, they do great cocktails!
Tuesday 5 September 2017 9.41am
Pops wrote:
Why do we need another McDonalds when there is one at the station?

You beat me to it, Pops. Also, the artwork on the exterior of the building is very striking: it would be a shame to see it painted over.

Tuesday 5 September 2017 1.00pm
I genuinely hate MacD.
pg
Tuesday 5 September 2017 1.39pm
A small mercy - the plan includes the retention of the larger mural on the right but not the left ...

maybe they'll add a golden 'M' arch into the painting
Tuesday 5 September 2017 2.27pm
Never, in a million years, is that plot going to be a MacDs. Unless Waterloo station has upped the rent and MacDs can't quite handle it.....unlikely.
I was told that the County Hall MacDs was, along with the Strand one, the busiest in Europe, well the Waterloo one has to be the biggest earner per sq mtr, always packed.
Tuesday 5 September 2017 2.38pm
I would strongly suspect that the rumour is just that.

The application is for A3 premises on the ground floor (sale of food and drink for consumption on the premises).

A McDonald's would require A3 and A5 (hot food and takeaway).
Wednesday 6 September 2017 11.14am
The planning application says that the mural is to be retained. It's not the first for this site- an earlier application was refused for a variety of reasons, principally relating to the flats they wish to build above it. If permission is granted the restaurant would have to close whilst the work was done- whether it (or somebody else) would return once complete is anyone's guess.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network