New trees planted in Swan Mead

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 5 September 2017 3.35pm
Around 10-12 semi-mature new trees were planted a few weeks ago in and around the Swan Mead estate, near Bricklayers Arms. (This may or may not be related to Lend Lease's redevelopment of the Heygate Estate.) Lovely though they are, isn't August basically the worst time of year to plant new trees? Does anyone know about this stuff? I thought they were supposed to be planted in late autumn or early spring. Anyway, bottom line: they're already dying. Considering the fate of the recent trees on the roundabout, Bricklayers Arms is a veritable graveyard for saplings.
Tuesday 5 September 2017 7.55pm
Bel Ludovic wrote:
Around 10-12 semi-mature new trees were planted a few weeks ago in and around the Swan Mead estate......isn't August basically the worst time of year to plant new trees? Does anyone know about this stuff? I thought they were supposed to be planted in late autumn or early spring.... they're already dying. Considering the fate of the recent trees on the roundabout, Bricklayers Arms is a veritable graveyard for saplings.

From Southwark Council's website:
'In order to aid their establishment, trees should be planted as early in the planting season as possible, between November and March.
Once planted, each tree is staked for support and mulched in order to avoid the establishment of weeds. Each tree is also watered during the first growing season, between May and August. Approximately 40 litres is provided on each visit, during which any other problems are also checked'.

It appears the Council doesn't 'know about this stuff'!
Tuesday 5 September 2017 10.15pm
They came to The Draper Estate, desperate to put as many in the ground as they possibly could., we managed to talk the numbers down a bit.
They are probably against the clock.
After a few years Southwark Council will have to pay for their maintenance, 'til then, LL will pick up the tab.
Friday 8 September 2017 9.26am
Well, two of them have already kicked the bucket, and another is on its way out. What a waste of time and money. I don't know why they couldn't have been planted at the proper time of the year.

Oh, and I've spotted quite a few other new trees too, it seems they've been peppered throughout this part of the borough - again, planted in August. Let's see how many survive.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: