Gentrification and Labour

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Thursday 28 September 2017 2.45pm
... assuming gentrification is a bad thing ...
Thursday 28 September 2017 2.47pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
LukeGrangeWalker wrote:
Just to balance the political viewpoint on this thread, if Corbyn ever got into number 10, this country will have bigger problems than 'gentrification'! I'm not saying what we currently have is any good, but I would argue its better than what could happen if Corbyn and Macdonald were in 10 and 11. Just my opinion, off course.
You could balance the viewpoint by substantiating your comment - Why would this country have bigger problems than gentrification if Corbyn ever got into number 10?

You're right I could. But this would lead to a lengthy thread and, going by history, lead to a high probability of it getting unsavoury. As someone early in the thread said, they couldn't change a Tory's mind, I think the vice versa probably applies to. I guess its the nature of political views. nothing wrong with that.

But, I accept I shouldn't have posted, if I wasn't prepared to back it up, here. Will think harder in the future.
Thursday 28 September 2017 6.54pm
LukeGrangeWalker wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
LukeGrangeWalker wrote:
Just to balance the political viewpoint on this thread, if Corbyn ever got into number 10, this country will have bigger problems than 'gentrification'! I'm not saying what we currently have is any good, but I would argue its better than what could happen if Corbyn and Macdonald were in 10 and 11. Just my opinion, off course.
You could balance the viewpoint by substantiating your comment - Why would this country have bigger problems than gentrification if Corbyn ever got into number 10?

You're right I could. But this would lead to a lengthy thread and, going by history, lead to a high probability of it getting unsavoury. As someone early in the thread said, they couldn't change a Tory's mind, I think the vice versa probably applies to. I guess its the nature of political views. nothing wrong with that.

But, I accept I shouldn't have posted, if I wasn't prepared to back it up, here. Will think harder in the future.

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP._FDDpDw9ZiyyvR-l9-nD2QEsDX&pid=Api&w=252&h=181
Friday 29 September 2017 9.01am
boroughonian wrote:
LukeGrangeWalker wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
LukeGrangeWalker wrote:

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP._FDDpDw9ZiyyvR-l9-nD2QEsDX&pid=Api&w=252&h=181

That has just kicked off my day in an hilarious way boroughonian. Thanks for that :)
Friday 29 September 2017 3.44pm
LukeGrangeWalker wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
LukeGrangeWalker wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
LukeGrangeWalker wrote:

That has just kicked off my day in an hilarious way boroughonian. Thanks for that :)

Can't go wrong with Father Ted - it somehow manages to be dated but to have aged well at the same time, if that is at all possible.
Friday 29 September 2017 8.45pm
Saturday 30 September 2017 10.50pm
MarcoC wrote:

Gentrification is not a bad thing per se: influxes of people from an under-represented demographics is good, since it adds to the richness and diversity of an area.

This cuts both ways: be it highly educated wealthy professionals moving into Peckham, or working class people, immigrants, etc moving into Belgravia.

But if it involves uprooting and displacing existing communities in order to achieve a new socio-economic identity for an area, then it is indeed a bad thing.
Monday 2 October 2017 9.46am
Jules62: Because 'the natives' of Peckham are all poor and thick? So offensive.
Monday 2 October 2017 10.24am
Jules62 wrote:
MarcoC wrote:

Gentrification is not a bad thing per se: influxes of people from an under-represented demographics is good, since it adds to the richness and diversity of an area.

This cuts both ways: be it highly educated wealthy professionals moving into Peckham, or working class people, immigrants, etc moving into Belgravia.

But if it involves uprooting and displacing existing communities in order to achieve a new socio-economic identity for an area, then it is indeed a bad thing.

Surely what's going on in north Southwark now isn't 'gentrification'? As originally applied to areas like Islington it meant 'middle-class' incomers taking over run-down 19th-century terrace houses and tarting them up - and creating a new community. Local estate agents profited and encouraged it, but there was, as far as I know, no deliberate town-planner or developer involvement fuelled by massive investment - it was largely a 'natural' social process, matched as the up-and-coming working classes were moving out of the overcrowded central areas into the leafy suburbs!

Whether it's a 'good thing' or a 'bad thing' I don't know (and wouldn't care to express an opinion), but 'gentrification' in Southwark has given us places like Mercato Metropolitano, Flat-Iron Square, the Southwark Playhouse and (dare one suggest) topics on this Forum like where to get the best sushi in S London.

Turning north Southwark into Dubai-on-Thames isn't gentrification - and the people moving in certainly aren't gentry.
Monday 2 October 2017 10.41am
Jules62 wrote:
MarcoC wrote:

I agree and I'm the first one saying that the way the Council behaviour, for example with the Heygate Estate, was far from ideal. At the same time I think a "new socio-economic identity for an area" like SE1 and Elephant in particular is inevitable: it's the last "affordable" Zone 1 location so perhaps the Council could delay the process a bit, but it won't stop it.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: