Gentrification and Labour

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Monday 9 October 2017 9.01pm
Look out for "artwashing"
Found some interesting articles, including this one

http://colouringinculture.org/blog/artistsagainstartwashing
Monday 9 October 2017 10.51pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Makes me laugh, there was a major transformation that paved the way for half of you lot to live here. It's a monster that aint stropping.

In my case, it was the gentrification of Islington that priced me out of an area my family had lived in for at least four generations. Luckily, the good people of the South Bank took this refugee in and made him feel welcome.

It is sad to read what happened to you up there in Islington: when I first came to live in London, in 1983, I stayed there with my Aunt, who had just bought a 5 bedroom Georgian end of terrace house near Highbury Corner for 28K.

This house was recently sold for 800K even though it needed a lot of building work for the new owners to fix the many problems with the structure (underpinning, roof, electrics, plumbing etc).

I can see how hard it must be for the original Islingtonians to be able to afford to live there.

There is a silver cloud, however, in that you have now joined us here in SE1: an area so great that I wouldn't want to return to Islington.

Let us hope that us on this side of the river don't end up like that...
Tuesday 10 October 2017 3.32pm
JazzyQ wrote:
Regeneration seems to mean getting shafted for working class people.
"Not for us" is the comment on the properties soaring up in the Southwark area.
So we need to be building homes that are for us then?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05j6xhh

Interesting radio programme... they managed to find two bad examples from both side:
- One The Elephant for the "evil gentrification", when it's the only building that actually doesn't replace anything (nobody was forced to relocate anywhere as a result of its construction)
- A woman with 7 kids as the "poor local". She has a council flat which is ok for 6 kids and yet she decided it was appropriate to have another one. And now she expects the Council to sort out the situation...
Friday 20 October 2017 2.31pm
I've noticed in the last couple of days posts and tweets on this site describing how the Roxy on BHS is being replaced by a KFC and that the YMCA has opened a charity shop at E&C.

Is gentrification going into reverse already?
Friday 20 October 2017 3.23pm
boroughonian wrote:
Makes me laugh, there was a major transformation that paved the way for half of you lot to live here. It's a monster that aint stropping.

Surely most people come here for the warm welcome of those who designate themselves as locals?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 20 October 2017 4.17pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

Surely most people come here for the warm welcome of those who designate themselves as locals?

Just meant, we can't have this thing stop when it suits us, unfortunately.
Friday 20 October 2017 6.39pm
Absolutely.
I doubt any of us have the slightest ability to stop the juggernaut of "progress".
(Sorry if that sounds too cynical- it's been a long week)

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 20 October 2017 6.44pm
I've just noticed my, perhaps appropriate (for me), typo.
Friday 20 October 2017 6.55pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

In my case, it was the gentrification of Islington that priced me out of an area my family had lived in for at least four generations. Luckily, the good people of the South Bank took this refugee in and made him feel welcome.

It wasn't meant to be as disrespectful as it come across. My thinking was that you don't have to go back too far for a time when councils built social housing on prime land.
IE: Park Street and Cherry Garden. That wouldn't happen now.

#refugees welcome.
Monday 23 October 2017 11.19pm
Put not your trust in Princes! They are all tainted.... The shenanigans of Keir Starmer Coyle Corbyn et am are a case in point...Bit of hope in JRMogg as he is RC Christian and believe he would be a principled leader for The Conservatives. The LDs fill me with horror.. There appears to became need for a new movement to represent UK grassroot opinion as UKIP appears to have succumbed to persona?cities and infighting
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: