Super Squirrels

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 3 October 2017 9.35am
Has anyone else noticed the plethora of super cheeky squirrels this Autumn
In particular around Snowfields- Copperfield and near Red Cross Way. The latter one runs towards me and walks my way before bidding good bye near BHS - almost every day!
Tuesday 3 October 2017 10.55am
I've noticed quite a few in Guy Street park.
Tuesday 3 October 2017 11.55am
Yep. it's like a plague. We need some seriously cod weather to kill them all off. As it is, they are getting into bins, tearing open rubbish bags and all the rest, which will include causing damage to property where they get access into roofs and other spaces and then gnaw through insulation and electrical wiring. The latter causing the risk of fires. They should be treated like what they are; arboreal rats.
Tuesday 3 October 2017 12.24pm
boroughbloke wrote:
Yep. it's like a plague. We need some seriously cod weather to kill them all off. As it is, they are getting into bins, tearing open rubbish bags and all the rest, which will include causing damage to property where they get access into roofs and other spaces and then gnaw through insulation and electrical wiring. The latter causing the risk of fires. They should be treated like what they are; arboreal rats.
I know "squirrels are now grey because of interbreeding with rats" is an urban myth but I still can't get the idea out of my mind. People feeding them as stupid as the people feeding pigeons.
Tuesday 3 October 2017 3.31pm
I planted 200 spring bulbs and I reckon squirrels have eaten 180 of them

"Bastards! I hate them with their long tails and their stupid twitchy noses"
Tuesday 3 October 2017 3.42pm
Had a well fed looking one in our garden the other day. Probably has eaten all our bulbs too, along with all the tiny grapes that were on the vine. It was having a good dig in all the plant pots and never thanked me for clearing up the mess.
Don't they hibernate?
This time of year they are filling their bellies ready for that.
I find it hard to think of them as rats or dislike them though.
Tuesday 3 October 2017 4.05pm
Yep. They've eaten through most of the narcissus bulbs on our balcony. Quite an achievement on the fourth floor.
Tuesday 3 October 2017 4.09pm
I do like them, even though they are a nuisance! They uproot so many plants in pots, using the pots as their winter stores. With no natural predators, their numbers are increasing - the worse the local cats do is harass them occasionally, they're too fat and lazy for much more :)
Tuesday 3 October 2017 4.10pm
LiviaDrusilla wrote:
I do like them, even though they are a nuisance! They uproot so many plants in pots, using the pots as their winter stores. With no natural predators, their numbers are increasing - the worse the local cats do is harass them occasionally, they're too fat and lazy for much more :)
Don't urban foxes like squirrels?
Tuesday 3 October 2017 5.02pm
JazzyQ wrote:
Don't they hibernate?

Nope.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: