Told to remove everything from communal hallways

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Thursday 5 October 2017 2.06pm
The letter from Southwark Council reproduced by Jules62 seems to me to be clear, reasoned and rational. Given the circumstances, who can blame them?
Thursday 5 October 2017 6.50pm
I would also like to add that residents, as we all have outside cupboards that we store stuff in, like tools etc, as these are only one bedroom flats so we dont have much room for stuff. My neighbour has now just told me that another neighbour she is friends with in the next block has been told she has got to remove everything from her outside cupboards as well. The council said they can put it all in the communal garden, well thats just great, the communal garden will end up looking like a dump. And those on other floors such as me, are stuck then with no where else to put the stuff we store in the cupboards, they are going over board to much and as usual its the residents having all the pressure placed upon them to get rid of everything all their stuff they spent money out on, but do we see councils installing sprinkler systems in our blocks, or fire hydrent or smoke alarms on landings. No. When i emailed the letter since there is no direct phone number on it, I didnt get much response back from my questions. We have a cracked communal window which has never been fixed by council...
Thursday 5 October 2017 7.08pm
The problem is, with one bedroom flats we have very limited room to store our stuff, so these extra cupboards outside are good for that. The kitchen is very small so not much room there. and a small cupboard space inside. We even have a small wardrobe for our clothing since space limiting. Its only southwark and kensington that have brought in these rules, my friend who lives north London has received no letters at all about any of this from her council, so does this mean the rules only apply south side then.
Zoe
Thursday 5 October 2017 9.22pm
Fire safety has to be a managed risk. I understand why the council is being cautious, but it takes even even more power from council residents. The many, many damaged fire doors was a much bigger risk at grenfell than potted plants and it's frustrating when getting repairs done takes months, so the council doesn't take it as seriously as they claim.
Thursday 5 October 2017 10.03pm
In Guinness Court on Snowsfields we had letters a long time ago telling us to take doormats in. This was way before Grenfell happened. I do get that it's easier to say no to anything rather than get into discussions about what's a fire hazard and what's not.
Friday 6 October 2017 8.50am
beetroot wrote:
In Guinness Court on Snowsfields we had letters a long time ago telling us to take doormats in. This was way before Grenfell happened. I do get that it's easier to say no to anything rather than get into discussions about what's a fire hazard and what's not.

Same here on Pages Walk. Our cupboards on the landing were also taken away from us.
Friday 6 October 2017 9.52am
Hi
I live in a housing association block and we too have been told we can no longer have a mat outside our door due to trip hazard if there was a fire. I have ignored this as I think it's outrageous to be told you cannot have a mat to wipe your feet as you enter your property.

I have purchased a few cheap mats from the pound shop and will keep replacing the mat if it is taken away.

I refuse to put on the inside if my flat as advised.

I would suggest everyone does the same.
Friday 6 October 2017 12.41pm
Astonishing attitude given the rule is for yours and others protection. I hope you never have to suffer a building fire and find out the potential consequences of this attitude.

Do you also smoke at petrol stations?
Friday 6 October 2017 1.02pm
Se1 girl wrote:
Hi
I live in a housing association block and we too have been told we can no longer have a mat outside our door due to trip hazard if there was a fire. I have ignored this as I think it's outrageous to be told you cannot have a mat to wipe your feet as you enter your property.

I have purchased a few cheap mats from the pound shop and will keep replacing the mat if it is taken away.

I refuse to put on the inside if my flat as advised.

I would suggest everyone does the same.

Is your selfishness pathological or just wilfull?
Friday 6 October 2017 1.06pm
I've never lived in a Southwark-run property, but my understanding of insurance for communal areas is that there should be nothing at all left in them by residents, and that if stuff - even doormats - is left in corridors etc it can leave the insurance policy for the whole building null and void.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: