Told to remove everything from communal hallways

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Tuesday 10 October 2017 7.26pm
Your plants look great. How did you manage to get pictures up here, as I tried this before but couldnt do it as no picture attachment tab on here... As for the meetings, we have not even been given a choice of a meeting about this, they just sent us all letters and slapped down the rules, do this or else. There is no negotiation or discussion on our blocks. When they came to our blocks they never even had the decency to knock on our doors.
Jules62 wrote:
boroughbloke wrote:
You either have a policy or you don't. I think it is perfectly reasonable to demand tenants in any building, be it council, private, residential or commercial, do not put anything in areas that are not theirs to put things in and are communal escape routes that should be sterile in terms of flammable content. The idea there should be a tailored solution to each block is absurd.

Here in Draper House, on the Draper Estate, we have been told that we must clear out all communal areas, including what used to be the clothes drying points located at the far end of our landings.

These locations are not a passageway nor an escape point, so nothing within them constitutes an obstruction, and (as can be clearly seen in these pictures I took myself), neither a fire hazard.

On Draper we take pride in our home (and by home we don't just mean our individual apartments, but the entirety of our buildings and all the surrounding areas that make up the estate), and many of us take steps towards making this a nice, warm, and welcoming place.

Yet the 'one size fit's all' approach means that not two, not even one monkey is given by Southwark as it railroads its hi-handed scheme with disregard to all common sense.

For the benefit of those not familiar with the architecture of Draper House, these enclosures protrude from the building, and lead to nowhere:

We have requested to meet with the Fire Safety Officer to discuss this, and are awaiting a response.
Tuesday 10 October 2017 7.56pm
We are on Keetons estate so our flats are smaller and the most we have is two floor buildings. Each resident has two outside cupboards for storage and its always been this way for years. Our block is very small with only four residents in it. And we have a small balcony. We have no attic or basement to store stuff. They are mainly one bedroom with small kitchens. We one have walk in cupboard inside to store stuff in our kitchen. But due to the huge waste pipe going through the middle of the cupboard we have to crawl around it. The council advised ground floor residents to chuck their stuff out in the communal garden. I think they are going over board with all of this. As long as fire exits are kept clear and not blocked and there is not clutter on landings where other residents have to climb over to get to stairs etc. We have two huge mats on ground floor by the doors of which council put in. They are not fire resistant but council have not removed them. We have no fire alarm or smoke alarms on our landings fitted. Just a sign on the wall by main door put up recently telling people not to smoke in the building and to let all residents know if there is a fire. How are we supposed to do that, run through the fire to warn them all. No glass fire thing fitted on the wall that you smash to warn people. No nothing. Just their rules and regulations. They recently hired keepmoat to rewire peoples places, they made a lot of errors but council dont worry about that side of things. They had wired up our meter wrong.
Tuesday 10 October 2017 10.11pm
Ladywriter1968 wrote:
Your plants look great. How did you manage to get pictures up here, as I tried this before but couldnt do it as no picture attachment tab on here...

Hi Ladywriter1968,

To insert an image into one of your posts, you must first upload it to an image hosting site (I personally use Img Safe ).

Once you have done this, copy the image url and paste it into the SE1 forums 'insert image link url'.

The first image shows the button you have to click (I have highlighted it in green), the next image shows the field that pops up once you have clicked it:

Wednesday 11 October 2017 6.21pm
Jules62 wrote:
boroughbloke wrote:
You either have a policy or you don't. I think it is perfectly reasonable to demand tenants in any building, be it council, private, residential or commercial, do not put anything in areas that are not theirs to put things in and are communal escape routes that should be sterile in terms of flammable content. The idea there should be a tailored solution to each block is absurd.

Here in Draper House, on the Draper Estate, we have been told that we must clear out all communal areas, including what used to be the clothes drying points located at the far end of our landings.

These locations are not a passageway nor an escape point, so nothing within them constitutes an obstruction, and (as can be clearly seen in these pictures I took myself), neither a fire hazard.

On Draper we take pride in our home (and by home we don't just mean our individual apartments, but the entirety of our buildings and all the surrounding areas that make up the estate), and many of us take steps towards making this a nice, warm, and welcoming place.

Yet the 'one size fit's all' approach means that not two, not even one monkey is given by Southwark as it railroads its hi-handed scheme with disregard to all common sense.

For the benefit of those not familiar with the architecture of Draper House, these enclosures protrude from the building, and lead to nowhere:

We have requested to meet with the Fire Safety Officer to discuss this, and are awaiting a response.

And if I as a neighbouring tenant do not like the fact that you have taken over this shared space for your plants and donít appreciate them? What about if I wanted to store some empty boxes there instead. Nice steel ones that wonít burn?
Wednesday 11 October 2017 7.28pm
boroughbloke wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
boroughbloke wrote:
The idea there should be a tailored solution to each block is absurd.

And if I as a neighbouring tenant do not like the fact that you have taken over this shared space for your plants and donít appreciate them? What about if I wanted to store some empty boxes there instead. Nice steel ones that wonít burn?

In such an instance, the Draper Residents Association would attempt to mediate between the two (or more) parties so that a mutually satisfactory solution may be found.

This would come under the 'being a good neighbour' heading: having daffodils, cacti, or metallic flowers in the areas I have described is not a fire safety issue, it is merely one of choice.

And LBS intends to deny all of us from exercising this choice, regardless of what we would like to install in our former drying areas (which is something to be discussed among ourselves)...
Wednesday 11 October 2017 7.36pm
Ok thanks for the information....appreciated...
Jules62 wrote:
Ladywriter1968 wrote:
Your plants look great. How did you manage to get pictures up here, as I tried this before but couldnt do it as no picture attachment tab on here...

Hi Ladywriter1968,

To insert an image into one of your posts, you must first upload it to an image hosting site (I personally use Img Safe ).

Once you have done this, copy the image url and paste it into the SE1 forums 'insert image link url'.

The first image shows the button you have to click (I have highlighted it in green), the next image shows the field that pops up once you have clicked it:

Wednesday 11 October 2017 7.40pm
Jules62 wrote:
Ladywriter1968 wrote:

Hi Ladywriter1968,

ok will try uploading image as test.
https://i.imgsafe.org/e6/e653427ab7.jpeg
Wednesday 11 October 2017 7.46pm
Ladywriter1968 wrote:

not sure that its worked, never mind.
people can click the link to see it, but it wont show on this page as a picture.
Wednesday 11 October 2017 7.52pm
Thanks but I tried several different ways with url but it didnt work for me, never mind..
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: