Told to remove everything from communal hallways

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Saturday 14 October 2017 6.52pm
The higher they keep building them, the less chance of people getting out in a fire. They dont consider this though when building them so high. Its just about the money. How many residents can they squeeze into one hugh block for rents.

boroughonian wrote:
Every time I look up at a tower block. private or social, I wonder how I would get out if there's a fire, WELL before Grenfell.
Sunday 15 October 2017 8.48pm
Ladywriter1968 wrote:
The higher they keep building them, the less chance of people getting out in a fire. They dont consider this though when building them so high. Its just about the money. How many residents can they squeeze into one hugh block for rents.
boroughonian wrote:
Every time I look up at a tower block. private or social, I wonder how I would get out if there's a fire, WELL before Grenfell.

Instead of taking away our plants and doormats, Southwark should issue us with these:

Or this:

Personally, I'd take the both on a you never know basis... ;-)
Monday 16 October 2017 6.29am
Certainly the second option isn't a bad idea actually.
Monday 16 October 2017 12.39pm
boroughonian wrote:
Fire resistant laminate flooring is the next thing, I think I would agree with that too.
Surely carpets are a big contributor to the spread of fire? A bit more of a hazard than a rubber plant.

Flooring isn't considered a contributor to a fire since the dynamics of fire mean that it is very hard to actually ignite a floor covering from above. Any fire that does do this will do so through heat and will be well past being survivable. You can ignite the flooring from below, but if a fire has already spread up through the floor then "the floor covering being on fire is the least of your problems". That quote is from a fire engineer.
Monday 16 October 2017 8.40pm
We have three floor mats on ground floor of which council put in, assume when they were built as the carpets are stuck into the flooring, none are fire resistant and could go up in a second. The first being by the main entrance door to our building and the other two are by the back doors of the escape fire exit route. If they went up in flames all escape routes would then be blocked. Since councils want to say remove everything. But since this is their property,,they stay. It just seems all one sided to me. I dont see them coming round and replacing these mats with anything else. I reported a large communal cracked window to council which can be a hazard if it breaks to peoples safety in block, it still hasnt been fixed or even looked at. I believe they are only doing this for themselves, to make themselves look like they seem to care. Like they are doing something. But really they have done nothing. No smoke alarms have been fitted on communal areas, no fire drill glass, nothing. The only good thing they have done is give us fire safety front doors. Accept for my neighbour was a bit upset when her front door handle fell off and she felt vulnerable.
Tuesday 17 October 2017 10.30am
boroughbloke wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Fire resistant laminate flooring is the next thing, I think I would agree with that too.
Surely carpets are a big contributor to the spread of fire? A bit more of a hazard than a rubber plant.

Flooring isn't considered a contributor to a fire since the dynamics of fire mean that it is very hard to actually ignite a floor covering from above. Any fire that does do this will do so through heat and will be well past being survivable. You can ignite the flooring from below, but if a fire has already spread up through the floor then "the floor covering being on fire is the least of your problems". That quote is from a fire engineer.

Fair enough, thanks.
Zoe
Wednesday 18 October 2017 7.48pm
Removed my door mat tonight, blimey there was a lot of dust underneath. It was also hiding the lack of a floor plate, so will need to buy one now. My door looks sad and empty.
Wednesday 18 October 2017 8.55pm
'My door looks sad and empty.'

It does doesn't it.

I weirdly miss having something there and it added colour to the grey slab hallway.
Wednesday 18 October 2017 11.09pm
Here in Draper House, the architecture is a good example of the brutalist style.

There are various features, some original, others added later, that may lead some to consider this building to be stark when they come inside and take a look around.

Once all plants and doormats have been removed, it will be like living in a correctional facility...
Thursday 2 November 2017 10.48am
Southwark's fire brigade borough commander was asked for his view on this policy at a scrutiny sub-committee meeting earlier this week:

https://bambuser.com/v/6960850

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: