Religious Nonsense

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Sunday 8 October 2017 3.18pm
How much longer are we supposed to put up with the Religious fanatics at the Elephant & Castle, preaching in public with their loudspeakers? Saturday evening there were about 15 of them, harassing passersby, using loudspeakers and amplifiers spouting religious rubbish. As an athiest I'm going to play the "offended" card and say that it offends me. Churches are the place for such ravings, not the streets. I'm sure they is some sort of law that prevents such a public nuisance I wish someone would enforce it.
Sunday 8 October 2017 4.35pm
batfastard wrote:
How much longer are we supposed to put up with the Religious fanatics at the Elephant & Castle, preaching in public with their loudspeakers? Saturday evening there were about 15 of them, harassing passersby, using loudspeakers and amplifiers spouting religious rubbish. As an athiest I'm going to play the "offended" card and say that it offends me. Churches are the place for such ravings, not the streets. I'm sure they is some sort of law that prevents such a public nuisance I wish someone would enforce it.

Doesn't bother me. Being either a believer or an atheist (same thing, just on different sides of the fence as far as I am concerned) seems too much effort to me, I am more of a live and let live kind of person.
Monday 9 October 2017 1.01am
I'm not an Atheist: I'm agnostic, hard Agnostic.

On Saturday there were about 20 'praise the Lorders' in day-glo vests on the southern end of the E&C Shopping Centre.

They deployed a large table and positioned themselves in such as way that anyone attempting to cross over had to run a gauntlet of these people on a mission from God trying to save their soul.

All this was accompanied by loud, amplified rantings in Spanish, with an equally loud simultaneous translation into English.

I agree with batfastard that these activities should be held in private venues rather than on the street, unless they have been granted the necessary permissions.

This has nothing to do with religion: I'd be just as peeved off it it were chuggers working the area in such an in your face manner.
Monday 9 October 2017 8.12am
The loudspeakers would offend me more than the message they were trying to give out. If any person tries to share their religious belief to me I am always polite, I thank them for trying to save my soul. I then trot out my honest belief. I believe in the Managing Director , IE. A God of sorts I suppose, but I don't believe in the supporting cast, the Priests, Popes, The prophet Mohammed. The ornate buildings, personal apparel the robes etc.

I used to love the Salvation Army with the brass band , and Sunday morning school because they gave us orange juice and a biscuit, neither of which we could afford at home! So I suppose my religious allegiance could be bought!
Monday 9 October 2017 9.23am
batfastard wrote:

Hear, hear!

Like Jules62, I'm a "hard agnostic" (being agnostic with regard to God, Jesus, Allah, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, Celestial Teapots and all the others) and my feelings are offended by this proselytising. I demand a safe space free from this nonsense! :)
Monday 9 October 2017 10.35am
Amazing isn't it that if they were shouting about any other figment of their imagination in such a way, they'd probably be sectioned.
Monday 9 October 2017 11.53am
Sometimes wonder if they are doing it to attract attention and cause violence/riot etc. I'm not religious at all, but don't appreciate it being pushed in my face whilst out and about. Do it privately, less chance of upset to others.
Monday 9 October 2017 3.05pm
Hmmm religious mugging?......rugging?

Look at it from their point of view, they are trying to save you.

Personally I have my own beliefs, which would be broadly in line with the shouty people, but I keep it to myself, which makes me not as good as the shouty ones.
Tuesday 10 October 2017 8.05am
LiviaDrusilla wrote:
batfastard wrote:
How much longer are we supposed to put up with the Religious fanatics at the Elephant & Castle, preaching in public with their loudspeakers? Saturday evening there were about 15 of them, harassing passersby, using loudspeakers and amplifiers spouting religious rubbish. As an athiest I'm going to play the "offended" card and say that it offends me. Churches are the place for such ravings, not the streets. I'm sure they is some sort of law that prevents such a public
nuisance I wish someone would enforce it.

Hear, hear!

Like Jules62, I'm a "hard agnostic" (being agnostic with regard to God, Jesus, Allah, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, Celestial Teapots and all the others) and my feelings are offended by this proselytising. I demand a safe space free from this nonsense! :)
When I hear these brave souls I am minded that I would rather be "harassed" than burn in he'll eternally... which view I presume they and others in the depth of their hearts subscribe too... pop into Met Tabernacle for a boost in the arm or a refreshment course away from the world issues and drudgery
Tuesday 10 October 2017 9.27am
They're nowhere near a nuisance as the anti abortionists with their placards.
I don't mind these people, I always thought there was a fine line between them and the comedy of Bill Hicks, while at the same time I always liked the movie Wise Blood.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: