Religious Nonsense

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Tuesday 10 October 2017 1.46pm
It doesn't matter whether you are religious or not, noise nuisance, is noise nuisance. Call the police; taking up public space and causing an obstruction is not allowed. I'm not sure of the legality of preaching/selling/soap-boxing on the streets.
Tuesday 10 October 2017 6.11pm
I echo these sentiments.

What I think would be great to hear is what people have tried, what has worked, and any other ideas so that we can try to make a difference.

For example:
1) If they are handing out cards, take one. Email a polite note explaining that the behaviour is intrusive and disruptive and that - while everyone is free to preach - others should also be entitled to be free from nuisance. I think it's important to sound reasonable to potentially win someone over.
2) If there is no reply and the issue is persisting, or if there is a reply that is belligerent, try replying pointing out that in your view this is both a nuisance/breach of the peace issue and also a noise issue. Try also copying in the relevant local community police team and perhaps Southwark's noise/nuisance /antisocial behaviour teams. The latter isn't quite right, but may take an interest - the challenge is that this falls between pillar and post. The noise team will, by default, say that if they can't attend your flat it's not something they can deal with but between them, antisocial and the police something might get resolved. If nothing else, a church seeing it is being copied into official complaints channels might start to take the issue more seriously and if the council doesn't follow up you can challenge them on why.
3) Raise the issue the next time there is a local community policing meeting, either directly or via representatives (TRA if one is hosting, councillors if not) etc. Though I would caution that councillors are unlikely to go against a large group of voters, so be realistic about that.

BTW - there's a nice summary of some relevant law here, but it would only apply to late night noise. I'm not sure what Southwark's bylaws are: https://www.westminster.gov.uk/loudspeaker-consent
Saturday 14 October 2017 11.05pm
Jesus left the synagogue and went on the streets and market places to save sinners...would rather have them than the evil found everywhere one goes in today's society. ...remember you reap what you sow
Sunday 15 October 2017 12.48am
Paramount wrote:
Jesus left the synagogue and went on the streets and market places to save sinners...
and Luke Skywalker left Tatooine to fight Darth Vader

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 15 October 2017 11.23am
Ivanhoe wrote:
Paramount wrote:
Jesus left the synagogue and went on the streets and market places to save sinners...

Would you ridicule a Muslim like that?
Sunday 15 October 2017 1.13pm
Thank you Ivanhoe.. Sticks n Stones suppose
Sunday 15 October 2017 2.21pm
boroughonian wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Paramount wrote:

Personally I ridicule every religion, so in answer to your question, yes. I would and do.
Sunday 15 October 2017 2.41pm
boroughonian wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Paramount wrote:

Call it ridiculing if you want to. I wouldn't.
The point I'm making is that just because someone believes in something, that doesn't make it true.
We're all free to believe in whatever we want, which is great.
However, when people present their beliefs as facts then I don't think it's unreasonable to draw attention to that and challenge it.
Some people do claim Jedi as their religion, which was why I specifically chose that example.

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 15 October 2017 10.31pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
They're nowhere near a nuisance as the anti abortionists with their placards.

Not to mention anti abortionists and their bombs and targeted shooting of healthcare professionals.

Thankfully, this hasn't been an issue in SE1 so far but you never know what tomorrow may bring...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violence
Monday 16 October 2017 8.38am
Well all violence and is criminal damage etc.... hopefully Christians have learned from the crusades and hopefully IS will recognize their culpability.... Re Christian faith it is a great support in life as many will testify. Even Jonathan Miller Richard Dawkins admit to the emptiness and vacuum of money worldly power and corruption in society and don't we see it? Not arf!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: