Proper Bakers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 13 October 2017 11.38am
Kennington road just opposite the Police station, a little Bakers, what a dark horse!

Worth a look if you're passing.

Just had a lovely Cornish Pasty for 1.49 and it had an array of pies from curried to bacon and egg, I'm impressed.
Saturday 21 October 2017 12.56pm
Bumping this on account of the euphoria I am feeling after my chicken Balti pie and pasteis de nata 2.49.

Seriously, I love this place, it's a shame it's not in a more prominent position, they would drive Greg's away.
Sunday 22 October 2017 1.55pm
What's their bread like?
Sunday 22 October 2017 2.24pm
You've looked it up haven't you? You know it doesn't do bread, my bad for saying bakers, it's Olde English for Patisserie.

Your bad for being a bit snidey.
Sunday 22 October 2017 4.32pm
boroughonian wrote:
You've looked it up haven't you? You know it doesn't do bread, my bad for saying bakers, it's Olde English for Patisserie.

Sorry, no: I hadn't looked it up.

It's just that only yesterday I was chatting to a neighbour of mine (who is also Italian) and we were having a right moan about how hard it is to find simple, good quality, honestly priced bread here in the E&C.

We both agreed that the ubiquitous Chorleywood loaf is not proper bread, and how we miss bakers who produce the bread we grew up with back in the old country.

The closest place I can think of, is the Turkish store (Oli Food Centre) on Walworth Road, opposite the Santander Bank.

But it's quite a walk, and even though their bread is of a high quality, the range is limited and they don't sell rolls.

When I read you message, I got excited and asked about the bread.
Sunday 22 October 2017 5.06pm
boroughonian wrote:
That was out of order. You owe an apology.
Sunday 22 October 2017 10.06pm
Coffee wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

None is needed: I perfectly understand why many people in London don't miss good bread, since it is not part of their culinary experience so there is nothing to miss.

Good bread can be found in the Capital, but it is usually fancy (ie: has been added with things like olives, nuts, dried fruit, etc), and is seldom of good value.

What I miss is regular, nothing fancy, good bread.

Pret a Manger here in E&C sells for 0.50 (only at lunchtimes and on working weekdays) some excellent bread rolls intended as an accompaniment for their soups, but these run out pretty quickly., so that it is almost impossible to rely on them as a dependable source of supply.

I suppose that some would see the quest of decent bread as aspirational, or even poncey, but this is something I cannot help these people with with: some seek the perfect pint, some the perfect pie, I just want the perfect bread...
Sunday 22 October 2017 10.38pm
Jules62 wrote:
Coffee wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

None is needed: I perfectly understand why many people in London don't miss good bread, since it is not part of their culinary experience so there is nothing to miss..
Now that really does beg an apology...

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 22 October 2017 11.05pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
Coffee wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

None is needed: I perfectly understand why many people in London don't miss good bread, since it is not part of their culinary experience so there is nothing to miss..
Now that really does beg an apology...

Not when the Chorleywood loaf takes up 80% of the UK's bread consumption: this is a fact not an opinion: I didn't look up the bakery the original poster mentioned, but this doesen't mean you shouldn't take a good look at what this Chorleywood bread is.

You are of course free to adore the white sliced loaf that has become the relatively recent mainstream form of bread consumed in the UK, but don't demand an apology from someone who misses the taste and consistency of real bread.
Monday 23 October 2017 8.32am
I'm English and I miss good bread too, of the sort we used to be able to buy from our local bakery when I was younger. They baked on the premises and had a huge variety to choose from. The simple answer is make your own, unless you're prepared to pay the nonsense amounts that the so called 'artisan' bakers charge. It takes no more than 10 minutes to make the dough, then you can leave it to prove for as long as you like basically, until you're ready for the next stage and the cooking. A doddle and so much nicer, healthier and cheaper than anything you can buy, even the dreadful sliced white! Baking tips available on request.......
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network